is he/she a cockerel

I think its a cockerel? anybody else know if its a cockerel? about 5-6 weeks of age.
If it is 5-6 weeks of age, it is definitely a cockerel (because of how large and red the comb & wattles are.)

That comb & wattles would be right for a female 4+ months old, about ready to start laying eggs. Your estimate of the age would have to be very far wrong for that bird to be a female.

That looks like a Sex-Link.
Red sexlink females are often that color (red/gold with white in the tail and some other areas.)
A male "red sexlink" would be a different color (mostly white).

But I think it is a mixed-breed male. There are several mixes that can produce males with that coloring (one of the simplest: a red sexlink hen crossed to a Rhode Island Red rooster can produce some sons and some daughters that have the coloring of this bird.)

If it is 5-6 weeks of age, it is definitely a cockerel (because of how large and red the comb & wattles are.)

That comb & wattles would be right for a female 4+ months old, about ready to start laying eggs. Your estimate of the age would have to be very far wrong for that bird to be a female.

Red sexlink females are often that color (red/gold with white in the tail and some other areas.)
A male "red sexlink" would be a different color (mostly white).

But I think it is a mixed-breed male. There are several mixes that can produce males with that coloring (one of the simplest: a red sexlink hen crossed to a Rhode Island Red rooster can produce some sons and some daughters that have the coloring of this bird.)
I have had him since he was a week old.

does anybody know what breed he is.
If he is in the USA, he is a mixed breed. There is no common breed in the USA that would have that coloring on a male, and very few rare ones.

If he is in some other country, I can't be sure what breeds are common there, but he could still be a mixed breed.

As for what is in the mix, there are many options, and it's really not possible to tell for sure.

so he could not be a welsummer?

If he is in the USA, he is a mixed breed. There is no common breed in the USA that would have that coloring on a male, and very few rare ones.

If he is in some other country, I can't be sure what breeds are common there, but he could still be a mixed breed.

As for what is in the mix, there are many options, and it's really not possible to tell for sure.

Back
Top Bottom