Is it a Silver Sussex.. can you call them Silver Sussex?

Yes I have that roo...I'll take a better picture of him - he is very beautiful. "Johnny Cash" hence man in black
wink.png

Quote:
Jenn, Do you still have that roo? It sounds to me like (if I am understanding all this), that is what you want ..... predominately black. Correct?

This is a very informative thread! I started researching the silver sussex and would truly love to have some. Thank you for everyone that posted picture and information, its giving me a great start to understanding some of genetics.

Yes, those are pretty, and that is the seller I spoke to on the phone from the UK. Nice fellow and he is currently importing some pure breeds to a breeder here in GA or AL. Cream legbars and choc orps. I asked him about the Sussex but they are not gonna be included in this first batch. Probably more towards the summer. There is a ray of light for us Silver Sussex people except, as I suspect, it will come with a high price.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by not up to much. I don't understand. Why in the world do we have Silver Sussex from Australia instead of England anyway.
roll.png
Thanks for your input:D

The Silver Sussex in the USA from Paul Bradshaw were imported from Australia.

it is way easier and cheaper to import from Australia than from England... if im remembering right(and i might not be lol) its because Australia has never had avine inflensa(and i know that's not spelled right lol)...

i just read this whole thread... and i think something important is being missed here... every rare/old/new breed needs work... even in 100% pure(if there is such a thing) stock an actual perfect bird is 1 out of 100's if not 1000's... we as Americans have a culture of wanting the perfect right now... poultry DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY... do not dispare take what u have and breed from there... you can get pure/right colored/good looking birds from the stock that y'all have started with... it just takes time and good breeding... i will have hope for silver Sussex here in the usa when i here one of you tell us that you are gong to hatch 200+ chicks this year and cull hard... then the breed will start to take shape...

i think it is a shame that they are being falsely advertised not because some of you got took for a ride but because in the long run it is very damaging to the breed... and that's what we as breeders are supposed to be looking out for is the BREED!!! it will take along time and a lot of people breeding hard for this breed to get a good reputation here in the USA...

these birds should be sold as PROJECT SILVER SUSSEX... a lot of people do this with many different breeds...

just my 2 cents worth... take it or leave it lol...
Elias

And one more thing I dont understand, while importing all these rare breeds from Australia, why just 1 pair of Silvers?

Probably because he was not able to find a second pair. As I have said they are very rare here, and the quality is generally poor.
The best (photos) Silvers I have ever seen were in Holland.

One other small point Light Sussex are Wheaten based, this can be seen by their white under colour.
Lights with blue/grey undercolour are not correctly bred.

Re Cuckoo, this is an impossible result from the quoted mating because Barring (Cuckoo) is dominant and if present would have been obvious in the parents
David​

I read through this thread and I feel sorry for buyers over there. There is so much confusion and people are not getting what they think they are.

I'm from Australia and have a juvenile pair of Silver Sussex, I will take pics tomorrow as I don't have current pics.

Quote:
I agree about those wings, if he was in my yard he'd be a roast.

Quote:
Revolutionmama, do I read correctly these two are directly from GreenFire?

Yes, these two are from GreenFire and this is the one I first got that is predominantly black that Kathy was wondering about -

395136986.jpg

395136988.jpg

Quote:
I agree about those wings, if he was in my yard he'd be a roast.

Quote:
Revolutionmama, do I read correctly these two are directly from GreenFire?

Back
Top Bottom