is it actually safe to eat an egg that quit?

Animal cruelty, vegans, and trolls
Thanks, now I had to read all 9 pages.

The first time I saw balut was an interesting situation. I was in the Navy and a distant relative of mine, whom I'd never met, just happened to work on the temporary side of my barracks as a house keeper. She saw my name on my uniform and started up a conversation. She's full blood Filipino, btw. She invited me to Thanksgiving dinner to meet some more of my family. Instead of turkey and the fixins, there was whole prawn, steamed crab, pancit and balut. She started pealing one until she found the embryo, sucked it out whole and then went on to eating the rest of the egg.
sickbyc.gif
I have yet to bring myself to try one.

But after growing up on the coast with a crab net in my hand and marsh mud between my toes, I'll take any crawling crustacean steamed or boiled alive. Dipped in vinegar with a sprinkle of Old Bay.
droolin.gif
And then there's the deep fried soft crabs with homemade cocktail sauce...

Now I'm homesick.
hit.gif

Thanks, now I had to read all 9 pages.

The first time I saw balut was an interesting situation. I was in the Navy and a distant relative of mine, whom I'd never met, just happened to work on the temporary side of my barracks as a house keeper. She saw my name on my uniform and started up a conversation. She's full blood Filipino, btw. She invited me to Thanksgiving dinner to meet some more of my family. Instead of turkey and the fixins, there was whole prawn, steamed crab, pancit and balut. She started pealing one until she found the embryo, sucked it out whole and then went on to eating the rest of the egg.
sickbyc.gif
I have yet to bring myself to try one.

But after growing up on the coast with a crab net in my hand and marsh mud between my toes, I'll take any crawling crustacean steamed or boiled alive. Dipped in vinegar with a sprinkle of Old Bay.
droolin.gif
And then there's the deep fried soft crabs with homemade cocktail sauce...

Now I'm homesick.
hit.gif
I love eating the raw oysters while I'm breaking them apart on the boat. That's my favorite thing about redfishing, too, if you don't catch any fish you can eat the bait

I love eating the raw oysters while I'm breaking them apart on the boat. That's my favorite thing about redfishing, too, if you don't catch any fish you can eat the bait

Yeah! Where I fish (Laguna Madre) oysters are pretty scarce but shrimp are often plentiful. I drop a crab pot, cast a shrimp net, and fish for reds all at the same pier.

If I lived down there I would never get any work done.

Yeah! Where I fish (Laguna Madre) oysters are pretty scarce but shrimp are often plentiful. I drop a crab pot, cast a shrimp net, and fish for reds all at the same pier.

If I lived down there I would never get any work done.
If you starve to death down here, you're either lazy or stupid. I live down here and barely get any work done. People say " You couldn't fish every day, you'd get sick of it"
Watch me try
big_smile.png

Never was big on clams or oysters even though growing up I had to eat them a lot. Problem was, my stepfather was lazy in cleaning them before making chowder or fritters. Biting into the grit was awful, watching what was floating in the chowder was worse...

Last edited:
Never was big on clams or oysters even though growing up I had to eat them a lot. Problem was, my stepfather was lazy in cleaning them before making chowder or fritters. Biting into the grit was awful, watching what was floating in the chowder was worse...
Don't bite, just let them slide
big_smile.png

If it comes out of the ocean, it's good

Back
Top Bottom