Is it normal for older hens to take longer breaks?

May 29, 2019
My RIR hybrid is 2 months shy of 4 y/o. She's always been productive layer. This past fall/winter she took a normal molting break, then started up laying again end of jan/early Feb. She went from laying every other day to two days on/one day off. Then, over the last week she went back down to every other day. Now she's skipped multiple days.

In addition to her multi-day break from laying, she seems quieter and less vibrantly red in the comb/face/wattles. She's also calmer and less intense about foraging, and will often go back into the run to eat and hangout while others are foraging. That said, she eats, drinks and poops normally so isn't necessarily acting sick. Her abdomen feels normal.

Any thoughts? I automatically get anxious about reproductive disease since that's been the most common way my chickens have died. But she's not really exhibiting signs so far. I'd be totally fine if she's just retiring!

20230210_102928-01.jpeg

Very normal. Most hens will lay fewer eggs each passing year, and the length of their laying season will shorten. My oldest birds (6 yrs going on 7), one stopped years ago, the other two will probably not start laying until April or May, and then will stop in July or maybe Aug. I would expect maybe 2-3 eggs a week from them during that span.

Very normal. Most hens will lay fewer eggs each passing year, and the length of their laying season will shorten. My oldest birds (6 yrs going on 7), one stopped years ago, the other two will probably not start laying until April or May, and then will stop in July or maybe Aug. I would expect maybe 2-3 eggs a week from them during that span.
That's great to know! I'm hoping she's just retiring--less chance for reproductive troubles, then. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Im a bit late to react but I see you are still an active visitor. How is this year?

I want to confirm a longer break in winter is normal for older hens. When they finally retire is very different.

I have 2 almost 9 year old Dutch that still lay quite good. They started to lay about 3 weeks ago after their winter break. At the moment they give me an egg every other day.

All my chickens are over 3 years old. I have a few ten year olds, too. While older chickens may slow down in egg production, I do get a bit concerned whey they slow down on foraging and being active. I'll watch these birds closely to make sure they are not being bullied, harboring an illness, or being affected by arthritic conditions. Look at her feet and make sure she does not have bumblefoot. Older hens tend to be obese and that can make getting around more difficult. since my birds are all past prime laying, I changed them over to All flock feed and provide supplemental calcium for the ones that lay every so often.

I do get a bit concerned whey they slow down on foraging and being active.
I presume they are less active because:
  • They get older and less active like cats, dogs and humans.
  • Old chickens need way less nutrients because they produce less eggs

Older hens tend to be obese and that can make getting around more difficult
What breed or mix you you have? I don’t recognise this at all with my older Dutch bantams. Ini mini my oldest stil flies up on the run (6 feet).

For sure normal. Good points, there is a difference between slowing down physically, like motor skills and slowing down laying. My experience is older = laying slow down but not always done, done. My oldest is a 6 year old Welsummer. I declared her done 2 years ago. YET a few weeks ago I got a speckled brown egg. I scratched my head for a long time, who that is not a Welsummer layed a typical Welsummer egg. Well it was indeed her. So that's cool. But my 6 year old Orpington that passed last year, she stopped laying around 4 and then I noticed a physical slow down a few months before she passed.

I presume they are less active because:
  • They get older and less active like cats, dogs and humans.
  • Old chickens need way less nutrients because they produce less eggs

What breed or mix you you have? I don’t recognise this at all with my older Dutch bantams. Ini mini my oldest stil flies up on the run (6 feet).
I have Black Copper Marans, Sapphire Gems, blue Jersey Giants.

Back
Top Bottom