Is it possible for a cockerel to look like a pullet in an auto-sexing breed?

Both male and female can have the stripes. It's the spot on the back of the heads of the males that indicate their gender. I would be calling Meyer and demanding my money back and let them know they need to improve their breeding practices.

I also want to be clear... the chick definitely looked like a pullet to me when it arrived... of course, I am not a professional, nor have I seen any Legbars aside from this one... but there was no white spot... so... I am not going to in guns blazing and blame the hatchery if it is indeed a cockerel... but the comb development certainly has me concerned at this point.

But I am hoping that if it is indeed a cockerel, that Meyer will work with me to make this right.

I mean... I spent 3 bucks for the Austral-O... and if it turns out to be a Roo... well... thems the breaks... but on a $35 auto-sexing breed... I'd kind of like some credit or a refund... You know?

Last edited:
Meyer NEEDS to know that whomever is mainting their breeding flock of Legbars had some breeders that are producing chicks that are not true to autosexing characteristics.

That is why I stated that any one breeding autosexing breeds needs to make SURE that chicks that appear female actually mature into hens and chicks that appear to be male mature into roosters.

That is the only way to keep autosexing breeds what they are supposed to be.

Last edited:
Meyer NEEDS to know that whomever is mainting their breeding flock of Legbars had some breeders that are producing chicks that are not true to autosexing characteristics.

That is why I stated that any one breeding autosexing breeds needs to make SURE that chicks that appear female actually mature into hens and chicks that appear to be male mature into roosters.

That is the only way to keep autosexing breeds what they are supposed to be.

Absolutely this. too many of the autosexing breeds, especially Legbars, have not been culled for the correct auto sexing traits. Why? Because they can get $35 a chick, that's why. The lure of money makes folks sloppy.

I would send them pictures of the cockerel, both chick and present. And politely ask for a refund. See how they react. If they don't think they need to refund your money, then maybe you could get in touch with the other members here who are complaining about miss-sexed cockerels and all of you contact them. Do they have a place on their site where you can leave a review?

Last edited:
I just went to their policies page...

"We offer a 90% sexing accuracy guarantee or your money back. For errors resulting greater than guarantee, we will refund the difference between the female and male price. Sexing errors can be reported when birds reach 10 weeks of age and no later than 18 weeks after hatch date. "

So... In like 6 more weeks I can report a sexing error. Though... I am not certain that applies to auto sexing breeds like this... My guess is I'll have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom