is it possible to DIY electric netting?

Vata Raven

Songster
Feb 15, 2023
Many electric netting have this 2-2-2-2-4-4-4-4-4-6-8 pattern with the 12 horizontal strands.

The vertical strands don't do anything other than support the horizontal-conductive strands, correct?

I started looking at electric fence posts at Lowes, but the problem with those seems that they have preinstalled fence clips, and those are too far apart to match premier1's netting.

Are there any fence posts similar to premier1's setup? Or is there a plastic post that you can drill into and drive into the ground?

Thank you for your insight and help.

Are you trying to DIY the electric fencing entirely? or just the poles to support? If the former, you can drill PVC (mind numbingly boring) and then slip it over plastic stakes like would be used for solar powered path lighting.

3/4" schd 40 PVC has an ID of 0.824 - the typical ground stake for path lighting is for 0.8 to 0.82. The grey threaded end stuff (usually found in the landscaping Dept) is typically schd 90, with an ID around 0.729.

Basically, finding the pipe is easy (if boring to drill), finding the stakes tends to be more difficult.

Last edited:
Since I also used them in my rotational grazing system. I use the step in plastic post. As you have stated, the clips do not line up perfectly. I hang the netting from the top clip. Then zip tie the middle and bottom. If I need a more solid anchor or corner post. I use metal t-post with insulators. Which can be placed to match the horizontal wires of the netting. Again I attach top, middle and bottom only. There are smooth round fiberglass post and rebar post available also.

Are you trying to DIY the electric fencing entirely?
Entirely, but the removable posts don't seem possible because I'd still need a way to drive the post into the ground, but it still be easy to remove

But Thank you! The PVC could work as support for a purchased netting system.

I might just have to do a electric fence around the whole yard, but section off areas.

Since I also used them in my rotational grazing system. I use the step in plastic post. As you have stated, the clips do not line up perfectly. I hang the netting from the top clip. Then zip tie the middle and bottom. If I need a more solid anchor or corner post. I use metal t-post with insulators. Which can be placed to match the horizontal wires of the netting. Again I attach top, middle and bottom only. There are smooth round fiberglass post and rebar post available also.
are you using a purchased electric netting, or did you build one?

are you using a purchased electric netting, or did you build one?
I use purchased netting. For the cost of materials, plus the time and labor involved. To build my own netting system. I don’t think there would be any financial gain over just purchasing ready made. I also don’t think I could replicate the ease of use and quality.

I use purchased netting. For the cost of materials, plus the time and labor involved. To build my own netting system. I don’t think there would be any financial gain over just purchasing ready made. I also don’t think I could replicate the ease of use and quality.
True. Maybe if there was similar fiberglass poles to purchase, then maybe it would be possible.

True. Maybe if there was similar fiberglass poles to purchase, then maybe it would be possible.
Even with that. The only way I could see to attach the verticals to the horizontals. Would be to tie them. Along with knots on either side of the post in all the horizontals. I just envision it being like weaving a fishing net by hand.

Even with that. The only way I could see to attach the verticals to the horizontals. Would be to tie them. Along with knots on either side of the post in all the horizontals. I just envision it being like weaving a fishing net by hand.
yeah, true

guess the idea would work better for a permanent solution

Maybe I can zip tie it to the posts. The plastic doesn't ground the current, right?

Back
Top Bottom