Step-in poultry netting using planter blocks - anyone try this??

ChicoryBlue

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 8, 2020
Central New York USA
Frozen shale preventing getting step-in fencing in
Since we've had so little snow I decided to set up a small run surrounded by Premier 1's PoultryNet Plus. Part of the line I want to run is on the edge of our shale driveway. Normally I use a strong (steel?) tent stake and a hammer to drive holes into the shale for the step-in pins), but here I could only get about an inch, then it’s frozen solid rock, not breaking or moving at all, really impossible. The stake began bending. It’s not great work at any time of the year though, and I’m looking for a year-round alternative.

Crazy Idea? Anyone else try this?
Had the idea of placing the poultry fence in what I found out are called planter blocks. Bought a few on a whim last summer while I was getting cinder blocks for winter tarp weights and daytime roost holders, I liked the shape, of these and the notches make them easy to grab and move around. Discovered this year that a step-in two-tined fence post fits in the hole and the notch. So I placed one on the shale and used a plain post to hang extra cable on next to the electric fence cut-off switch, it worked great!

View attachment 3412926

So I thought about this again. I would have to fill in below the electric fence in between the blocks because the fence bottom is now higher in this scenario. Realized the blocks are made for 2x lumber to make planter boxes (duh! see the image below), and found a scrap 2x8 to try and I laid out two blocks and a length of fence.
007693c038412536c8b910aa3e144607.jpg

The scrap wood is just a little long, but hopefully you can see what I mean. I have one or maybe two more planter blocks to experiment with and lay it out further, but right now it’s behaving much like step-in poultry netting does. The end fence poles, if tied or braced to something, will pull the fence straight I think. Laterally, they seem to have as much strength as when in soil, because the blocks are as deep as the tines, and I could pound in some wooden wedges into the middle hole and stop any wiggling of one tine, but they could still lift out without much trouble, which is good. Or maybe bad? Normally there's some stick when the tines are in soil. Definitely stick when they're in shale.

I have not considered connecting two fence lengths together; the run I am considering would be out from one side of my weather-protected enclosed run, around some greenhouse frames hung with 2" aviary netting, and back to another side, using one continuous length.

Has anyone else tried this idea, and if so what were your results?
View attachment 3411849
View attachment 3411848
View attachment 3411847

In general it could probably work; I'd likely figure out a way to keep the blocks from spreading apart, perhaps just tether the 2x4 to the metal fence stake you've got there.

What is the goal with such short fencing? A chicken can easily jump/fly over that if your goal is to contain them or keep them away from something.
Thanks for your idea, you’re right, it’s possible the blocks could move. The fence post would want to pull them together but the blocks could move perpendicular to that, really any direction as you point out. Can you clarify, do you mean somehow tie the 2x to the fence tine that’s in the outer notch of the block? Any ideas on that?

The fencing is for predators, specifically dogs, fox, coyote, raccoon, weasel. Generally in the summer unless I’m with them the hens are inside aviary netting that comes down well within the electric fence. The poultry netting is a perimeter fence only.

First picture below is how things were arranged last summer. I took the pic from a second story so that’s an electric line going right across the view. The fence closest, along the shale driveway, is the edge that I’m dealing with now.

We made a permanent structure for a sunny protected winter run to the left of this picture that the coop is attached to, second picture. (The coop is an Omlet tractor coop.) The idea is for a couple of the greenhouse frames with netting to form an area right off that winter run structure for roaming when there’s no snow, and we’ll have a shady summer structure back there on the right, near where the first pic shows the coop and “walk-in run”. I envision the two structures bookending a series of greenhouse frames between with aviary netting. But for winter I’ll have just a couple greenhouse frames with netting and encircle them when there’s not much snow with a short run of poultry netting, and then the chickens will have access out there. Poultry netting can’t be permanent with the kind of snow we get. So I’m looking for an easier way to set it up and take it down.

1677119973654.jpeg

The coop is out of view here, on the other side of the winter run this year. If I can get poultry netting up then I’ll open a chicken door from the run to these greenhouse frames.
1677121565251.jpeg

Hope this explains it better!

Frozen shale preventing getting step-in fencing in
Since we've had so little snow I decided to set up a small run surrounded by Premier 1's PoultryNet Plus. Part of the line I want to run is on the edge of our shale driveway. Normally I use a strong (steel?) tent stake and a hammer to drive holes into the shale for the step-in pins), but here I could only get about an inch, then it’s frozen solid rock, not breaking or moving at all, really impossible. The stake began bending. It’s not great work at any time of the year though, and I’m looking for a year-round alternative.

Crazy Idea? Anyone else try this?
Had the idea of placing the poultry fence in what I found out are called planter blocks. Bought a few on a whim last summer while I was getting cinder blocks for winter tarp weights and daytime roost holders, I liked the shape, of these and the notches make them easy to grab and move around. Discovered this year that a step-in two-tined fence post fits in the hole and the notch. So I placed one on the shale and used a plain post to hang extra cable on next to the electric fence cut-off switch, it worked great!

View attachment 3412926

So I thought about this again. I would have to fill in below the electric fence in between the blocks because the fence bottom is now higher in this scenario. Realized the blocks are made for 2x lumber to make planter boxes (duh! see the image below), and found a scrap 2x8 to try and I laid out two blocks and a length of fence.
007693c038412536c8b910aa3e144607.jpg

The scrap wood is just a little long, but hopefully you can see what I mean. I have one or maybe two more planter blocks to experiment with and lay it out further, but right now it’s behaving much like step-in poultry netting does. The end fence poles, if tied or braced to something, will pull the fence straight I think. Laterally, they seem to have as much strength as when in soil, because the blocks are as deep as the tines, and I could pound in some wooden wedges into the middle hole and stop any wiggling of one tine, but they could still lift out without much trouble, which is good. Or maybe bad? Normally there's some stick when the tines are in soil. Definitely stick when they're in shale.

I have not considered connecting two fence lengths together; the run I am considering would be out from one side of my weather-protected enclosed run, around some greenhouse frames hung with 2" aviary netting, and back to another side, using one continuous length.

Has anyone else tried this idea, and if so what were your results?
View attachment 3411849
View attachment 3411848
View attachment 3411847
I really like this idea! I have a paved walkway that my better ng spans. I use stanchions, but this is a great alternative.

I really like this idea! I have a paved walkway that my better ng spans. I use stanchions, but this is a great alternative.
Thank you for telling me your solution! Are all stanchions moveable, like a roped waiting line? Yours are weighted with sand or water or just heavy? I wonder if that’s more cost-effective, for a long span? If it’s easy I would use something like this all year along the driveway edge which is about 50+ feet.

My concern would be with the grounding for the electric.

Poultry netting works by being grounded through the ground -- the animal to be shocked is standing on the ground and touches the charged netting, getting a shock. If the animal isn't grounded then the shock doesn't transfer.

A Treatise on Electric Fences for Poultry

What is the goal with such short fencing? A chicken can easily jump/fly over that if your goal is to contain them or keep them away from something.

Chickens *can* fly over the poultry netting but they only rarely *do*. They don't like to fly up and over without landing on top first.

Poultry netting works by being grounded through the ground -- the animal to be shocked is standing on the ground and touches the charged netting, getting a shock. If the animal isn't grounded then the shock doesn't transfer.

Chickens *can* fly over the poultry netting but they only rarely *do*. They don't like to fly up and over without landing on top first.
Ah great point! Thank you. I hadn’t thought of that, yes a small animal could stand on the stone or on the board and pop through without getting zapped. Drat. @Aunt Angus ’ solution of stanchions avoids that.

Yes, I have four Buckeyes, and they have never tried to fly over the 48” poultry netting. They are dual-purpose so a bit bottom-heavy. They’ve gotten zapped and basically avoid it. And they have lots of forage and places they like to go within it. But @perkolator yes I think they could pop straight up and over if they really had a mind to.

Yes, I have four Buckeyes, and they have never tried to fly over the 48” poultry netting. They are dual-purpose so a bit bottom-heavy. They’ve gotten zapped and basically avoid it. And they have lots of forage and places they like to go within it. But @perkolator yes I think they could pop straight up and over if they really had a mind to.
I have netting over mine. Solves that potential problem, but that only works if the "shape" of your fence allows it.

Edit: Could you put the wood inside the fence? That *might* prevent something from using it as a launching point. And the blocks moving won't be an issue. The fence will keep them from going too far. I really think this could work with some tweaking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom