Step-in poultry netting using planter blocks - anyone try this??

I believe in this case a pos/neg fence system, if the wires were close together, would work, right? They wouldn’t have to be touching actual ground. They could be on top of the board, touch both wires, and zap! But from what I see those systems aren’t made for small critters.

Yes, that kind of system is made for larger animals.

I don't know if Premier 1 makes a pos/neg netting. I've never looked into it.

The article I linked explains how grounding works. :)
YES! I remember seeing in one of those videos in the article, how some people add grounding rods - several of them - around the perimeter of their fencing, connected to a hot strand.

But that takes the whole thing back to square one, doesn't it? It would involve driving spikes into that rock-hard shale ground. Still, you could be choosy where to put the rods. Rebar and a sledgehammer comes to mind.

I have netting over mine. Solves that potential problem, but that only works if the "shape" of your fence allows it.

Edit: Could you put the wood inside the fence? That *might* prevent something from using it as a launching point. And the blocks moving won't be an issue. The fence will keep them from going too far. I really think this could work with some tweaking.
So maybe before laying the poultry fencing pattern out, I should look at netting sizes... Question, is there someway to stake it in the middle like a "teepee" shape? We are thinking of fencing off a 30x30 or 40x40 square area of our yard... Reason is, we are looking the 48 inch fencing, and still hoping I can get under the netting if need be.

YES! I remember seeing in one of those videos in the article, how some people add grounding rods - several of them - around the perimeter of their fencing, connected to a hot strand.

But that takes the whole thing back to square one, doesn't it? It would involve driving spikes into that rock-hard shale ground. Still, you could be choosy where to put the rods. Rebar and a sledgehammer comes to mind.
Well a helper at Premier 1 explained (if I understand it correctly - that the fence ground wire could essentially go back to a ground rod where this ground rod would be able to "see" - connect to - the original ground rod for the energizer via the soil. This avoids putting the ground wire ground rod into shale, which might be so dry the electrical loop couldn't connect.

So the fence ground wire connects to a connector clamp, which connects to an insulated wire back to a new ground rod in a better grounding spot, in an embankment which is nice and damp. This is the same type of insulated wire I use to send the positive charge out to the regular poultry netting (and to this new fencing too) from my plug-in energizer located in the barn.

Then the new ground rod would "find" - through the damp soil - the energizer's ground rod. That part was critical, to close the electrical loop. Those two ground rods have to be able to "see" eachother.

So maybe before laying the poultry fencing pattern out, I should look at netting sizes... Question, is there someway to stake it in the middle like a "teepee" shape? We are thinking of fencing off a 30x30 or 40x40 square area of our yard... Reason is, we are looking the 48 inch fencing, and still hoping I can get under the netting if need be.
I don't understand what you are asking. Teepee? You wouldn't want to create a permanent way to go through, but this must not be what you're thinking.

If you need to get past / through the fence, you can put a gate where any two ends of fencing meet. Maybe you use two shorter lengths of fencing, then you would have two points of entry possible with a gate. You just need to have the power going through from one end with whatever connections, to the final end of the fence. At that final end you can also not use a gate and just untie (string) one pole from the other and tip one pole to the side and pass through.

Back
Top Bottom