Is it Possible to have " too much" Humidity? (INCUBATION)

This idea is of great interest to me as I only started incubating last November, since then I have done quite a lot of reading and kept running accross the idea that the factory suggested humidity(50%) was just too high and that a lower one(30-40%) would mean a higher hatch rate. So half way through my first run I started lowering the humidity trying to hit 35 and found that I was achieving either 30 or 50 but struggling to hit in between. My first hatch I started with 17 and hatched 9. So the middle of December I decided to try again, put in 36 and hatched 17 with the humidity close to 30% until lockdown. So the next several trys I found that if I added no water my numbers were hovering at 25% so I ran with that and had many late deaths with the chicks dieing either just before pip or piping and dieing. I was struggling to understand what was going on. I noticed that all the survives seemed to be in the same quadrant of the bator, so I thought that ventilation was my issue increased freash air flow, still had lots of DIS. I did notice as an after thought that the suevivers mostly came from my dark brown less porous eggs so they lost less moisture. Sigh so I got to watching the temps closely, and when I remove the egg turner for lockdown the eggs sit a good inch and a half lower in the bator and because the temp probably doesn't move I noticed the egg temp was getting up to 102 or so. I also noticed that the air cells looked bigger during the last couple days than they should. I am very persistent So I am now a week in on another batch of eggs and this time I have kept the humidity right around 45-50% and watched the temps like a hawk. I found an incubator thermometer that has a probe shaped like an egg that is supposed to give a better reading of the internal egg temp..... so we shall see.

Is it possible to have a level of humidity which can be detrimental to the development of embryos of pre hatchlings?
If so, what could the characteristics if the possibility of such an event occurred?
Keep in mind the temperature would be carefully monitored by digital and analog devices.
Humidity is the subject, not temperature.
I look forward to your response. Thank you

(Corrected my wording)

Too much humidity and you literally drown the developing embryo. Not enough and you entomb it within the egg. That is why I took the guesswork out with an automatic humidifier while hatching. It also increases a good hatch rate.

Is it possible to have a level of humidity which can be detrimental to the development of embryos of pre hatchlings?
If so, what could the characteristics if the possibility of such an event occurred?
Keep in mind the temperature would be carefully monitored by digital and analog devices.

(Corrected my wording)

Too much humidity and you literally drown the developing embryo. Not enough and you entomb it within the egg. That is why I took the guesswork out with an automatic humidifier while hatching. It also increases a good hatch rate.

(Corrected my wording)

Have I ruined my eggs? Should I just let it keep going, but lower the humidity? I don't understand why the machine says to use 60% to 80% to make it work best. Very misleading. My rooster was killed so I was trying to hatch fertile eggs. These were not Easter Eggers, but Ameracauna's.

I just got an incubator and set my first eggs. From what I gather the humidity level goes on the room temp?? Mine was quite high, like 75%. It was very hot and humid here today. I turned on the air conditioner and room fan and now it's at 44%. Is that a good number to be At? I just set them yesterday. My temp is 100.

Have I ruined my eggs? Should I just let it keep going, but lower the humidity? I don't understand why the machine says to use 60% to 80% to make it work best. Very misleading. My rooster was killed so I was trying to hatch fertile eggs. These were not Easter Eggers, but Ameracauna's.
From my very basic understanding one size does not fit all.... the manufacturer can not anticipate every situation that their product will be used in. A lot will be dependent on your local humidity and elevation. Also the individual condition of the eggs you set, more porous eggs need higher humidity and less porous need lower. So there is no one answere. As to your hatch, how do your air cells look? If you shine a light through the fat end you should be able to see how big your air cells are. I personally would lower it some, to around the 40%? Mark and see what happens. Just don't forget to bump it back up for hatch time.

They need less humidity until you get the point of hatching then it should go up. I use a Brinsea with a humidity pump, it takes out all the guess work, because the programming regulates the humidity for you as long as you fill the water resovoir.

Are you sure it doesn't suggest 60-80% just for the final 3 days?
Or also it may say 60 - 80 DEGREES humidity, which is a wet-bulb reading. Totally different than %relative humidity.

Back
Top Bottom