Is it to early to guess a gender?

gig.gif
lau.gif

We had 6 chicks ..when we did this ..2 wouldnt let us do it ..One was definitely a rooster . I think the other was a hen ..not sure ..( the rooster & the other one are deceased ) A fox got them .
We have 4 hens/ chicks left . a little better than 50/50 odds ..unless you mean its 50/50 one or the other ..LOL

There's another one I heard about holding the chick's neck between your thumb and pointer finger, males kick, females go limp. Is that true?

I have done this myself, and so far, in my experience, it was accurate. You have to literally pick the chick up off the ground. If it's a female it will draw it's legs up, if it's a male it will just let them dangle. I did this on three of mine and it turned out to be correct. You can't do it when they are older though, they have to be a few days to a week old, otherwise you WILL hurt your chick.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I have the nerve to do something like that for fear of hurting them; perhaps later on when I've had a few years under my belt...or as my neighbor puts it when my "feathers come in" LOL
wink.png

Hello, I was hatched out in March, I am a curious docile chicken but my chicken mom can't figure out if I am a Rooster or a hen? My sisters and I were supposed to be sexed and 99% guaranteed to be all hens can you help us? Thanks :)

Me and some of my sisters

Me and my older brother Mr. Mille Fleur Rooster, isn't he handsome!

Me next to my lovely Light Bramaha sister (for size comparison)

Me by myself, what do you think? Hen or Rooster?

Hello, I was hatched out in March, I am a curious docile chicken but my chicken mom can't figure out if I am a Rooster or a hen? My sisters and I were supposed to be sexed and 99% guaranteed to be all hens can you help us? Thanks :)

Me and some of my sisters

Me and my older brother Mr. Mille Fleur Rooster, isn't he handsome!

Me next to my lovely Light Bramaha sister (for size comparison)

Me by myself, what do you think? Hen or Rooster?

Rooster 100% sure

Back
Top Bottom