Is my buff Orpington really a buff Orpington?

BunnyTheSlayer

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I have a lovely, super sweet 13 week old buff Orpington girl. At least, she was sold to me as a buff Orpington...the past couple of weeks she has started to develop some gun metal gray speckaling on the ends if her tail feathers. Is this common in the breed? Or does it mean she's not all buff Orpington after all? It doesn't matter to me...I adore her all the same! I'd just be interested to know. Thanks for any help!

Sorry for the poor image quality...

Yup that's a buff Orpington :) and a silver laced Wyandotte. The small amount of speckling is something that can pop up in many different kinds of hatchery bred birds, it just means the bird is pet quality not show quality. But it's nothing to worry about if you just want a pretty hen that gives you delicious eggs ;)

Thanks for your fast replies! I got my three big ladies; the two silver laced wyandottes and my Orpington from a hardware/feed store here in Iowa so I'm assuming that would make them "hatchery" birds? I'm still new to chickens and learning all the lingo and whatnot that goes with it lol. They are definitely just spoiled pets. We also have French black copper Marans and a Marans ameracauna cross that we got from a local guy who breeds them. I think he called the Marans cross an olive egger?

Thanks for your fast replies! I got my three big ladies; the two silver laced wyandottes and my Orpington from a hardware/feed store here in Iowa so I'm assuming that would make them "hatchery" birds? I'm still new to chickens and learning all the lingo and whatnot that goes with it lol. They are definitely just spoiled pets. We also have French black copper Marans and a Marans ameracauna cross that we got from a local guy who breeds them. I think he called the Marans cross an olive egger?

Yep, I have a couple of those crosses myself and some BCM. Still too young to lay, though! Can't wait to see what eggs we get :)

welcome-byc.gif

Yep, your hen's a hatchery quality buff Orp. That smut in the tail is a trait a good breeder would cull for, but it's pretty common in a hatchery bird. Just like off lacing on a Wyandotte or muddy barring on a Rock....with hatchery birds you kind of take what you get. But, since all most of us want is some nice hens for backyard eggs, it's not a problem
smile.png

Oh I couldn't imagine culling a bird just for some undesired markings, but that's just me. My "olive egger" is only 9 weeks old so no eggs for me yet either. She's made me wanna get some straight up ameracaunas next year though. I love her attitude and her fluffy cheeks. What's the earliest you guys have seen eggs from your ladies? My other big girls are about 14 weeks old now.

Oh I couldn't imagine culling a bird just for some undesired markings, but that's just me. My "olive egger" is only 9 weeks old so no eggs for me yet either. She's made me wanna get some straight up ameracaunas next year though. I love her attitude and her fluffy cheeks. What's the earliest you guys have seen eggs from your ladies? My other big girls are about 14 weeks old now.

When you show birds, the markings are disqualified, so a breeder of show birds would either sell the bird as a pet, or grow them out for the freezer, as they would pass that trait on to their offspring.

My pullets are 14 weeks old too, the boys are very interested in them, but they are not squatting yet, I'm thinking another 4 weeks for mine

Back
Top Bottom