Is my Coop Big enough?

shawnj72

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Upper Michigan
How big Is Big enough to house 21 Yard Birds. Im about as Green as the grass grows to chickens and building. It started to be my kids Playhouse But things do change. Kids didnt mind at all when I said chickens.. ;-) It is about 10 X 14 with the nest boxes outside. since i'm a New egg I was able to make a page but i'm still on probation cant put pictures on posts. I was told to make it bigger than you intend to build. so I went with it.. but is it really big enough for 21 chickens? I did make a Chicken coop Project page hope everyone is able to view it. I just became a member but i have been viewing for quite some time. and Everyone gave me inspiration. also since i am going with a dirt floor what is the best way to keep out like Everything? Thanks..

The usual estimate is 4 sq ft per bird for the coop and 10 sq ft per bird for the run. Your coop is very nice and BIG!!

You might want to put a 2 ft apron around your coop of welded wire or hardware cloth (buried) to keep out predators.

Last edited:
Oh yeah that should be plenty big enough. Since you have the nesting boxes sticking to the outside it gives your coop even more floor space inside not taken up by that. Are you going to attach a enclosed run to it for them to get outside?

We are building a new coop as well. It is 12 X 16....we have 48 hens...

Sounds like yours will be great for the number of birds you have:)

Thanks For the tips I plan on making my run if you say 10 sf per hen i need to make it at least 10x25 the hard part will be the wire since it is so expensive.. i have enough poultry fencing but i guess i need to buy enough welded wire to at least go 4 feet hi?

Back
Top Bottom