Is My hen Going to Hatch her eggs

FARMER3112

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2016
California
Hello my hen Buffy who is an buff [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Orpington[/COLOR] was sick for a few weeks she has gotten better but now is broody. One of our friends gave us 4 fertile eggs she stepped on one when comming back from eating. But when I checked under her one was a bit cold and this has been going on for a few days since I have been checking. The other two are very warm but a bittle poop on them. Buffy is a bit cumsy for being big and she makes mistakes lol. But am im wondering will her eggs hatch is on day 5 now.

Some can be clumsier than others, but all hens walk on the eggs. That’s broody hens getting on or off the nest or hens laying eggs. Practically always when I find an egg broken, punctured, or crushed, that specific egg had an unusually thin shell. You can candle the eggs before you start. If they look really porous don’t star them.

When that egg broke, did it get egg goop on the other eggs or maybe her belly feathers? If you are only on day five and those remaining eggs have goop on them, I’d toss them, clean the nest and hen up, and get some more eggs. I’ve had that happen before and that hatch was a total failure. On the other hand, if they do not have dried egg goop on them keep going. That egg goop allows bacteria to get inside them, which is not good.

Depending in how dark shelled those eggs are and your candling technique you might be able to see movement or development when you candle, you might not. With my dark green eggs and candling technique I’m lucky to see much more than the air cell for quite a while. I never toss an egg early in incubation because of what I do or don’t see when candling, even the eggs I can see into pretty easily. I use CT’s method and smell them. If they start to smell like rotten egg, get rid of them quickly. As long as they don’t smell, I let them go.

No goop did not get on the other eggs she did candle them for us and said they were good. No they to not smell but they smell like straw

could i use a wipe to wipe a little poop off? The egg that broke i found out near where she was sitting I believe she rolled it out.

could i use a wipe to wipe a little poop off? The egg that broke i found out near where she was sitting I believe she rolled it out.

I would suggest you do not wipe it. You could end up wiping the bloom off and that's not good. It sounds as though you are very active in her nest. I would not be over handling them---well for that fact when I set my hen with eggs, I never touch them again---I just let her hatch---but all my broodies are in a private nest. Is she confined to a private nest or with the other chickens?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom