Is my hen squatting from injury or breeding?

KelseyBoxer

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 23, 2014
South Jersey
I have read alot of threads that mention turkey hens being submissive toward people. My bourbon red hen was hatched late Aug 2014 We do not have a tom (working on getting one). She hasn't layed an egg yet and last nite she squatted during treat time and kinda spread her wings a little bit. She did not raise her tail or make a sound. When I walked out of the pen, she ran to the treats to get some before the guineas got it all. She seems fine today. I hope this is normal turkey behavior. She is fussed over alot by my husband and I really love her too.

I hope shes just wanting to mate, not getting sick. I found a 2 yr old tom for sale in my area, do you think she will accept him or fight.? She is kept with 4 guineas and a young rooster she grew up with. I do have chickens, they are in separate areas.

This seems like mating behavior for sure. I think it may take a few days or so for her to accept the new tom but she def. sounds primed for his company.

I did get the tom on fri. He is in a pen alone with chain-link fencing between the two. He is aggressive towards my husband and my hen! He keeps poking his head thru the fencing trying to get at her. She keeps just out of reach. She is not squatting for him but still does it when I go in her pen. I hope they settle down after a few days. The tom was harrased by wild turkeys at his original place. They were separated by a fence too. His chest is missing feathers as he rubs back and forth on the fencing. "Bubba" seems to want to follow me around and is not agressive. I think he liked the lady who cared for him at the other place. Any tricks to a safe introduction?

I've only had turkeys for about a year. I have gotten several toms and hens from individuals and auctions. So far I have not had a tom be aggressive toward a hen. I have kept toms in a pen seperated from the other turkeys and my toms and the new one would fight from sun up to sundown thru the fence.

I finally let the new one out about a 10 min battle and then toms were like best buds.

Does the tom display for the hen or just try to attack?

Can you let hen out to free range. If you can I would let her out for about 10 min. Watch the toms reactions. If you can stay with them then let the tom out.

Thay way if the tom is aggressive the hen will be able to move away.

The tom displays for her and he displays when shes not there too. I think they are both confused and inexperienced. He wasn't trying to poke his head thru the fence today. I think tomorrow I will let her out and maybe let him join her after a little while. It will be like the neutral zone for both. She squatted all the way down today when I was cleaning her coop. I turned aeound and she was flat! The tom was no where near.

Here is a pic from the first day

Notice the guineas and the red rooster checking him out too. The guineas seem to ignore him now, but the rooster is really upset. He was in the box when we got the turkey hen and they have grown up together.

I have a black Spanish hen that does that to me. If I stay close to her the toms I don't have pened up will strut by but keep their distance. If I back away 10 feet or so one of them will try to take advantage of the situation.

Once the get aquainted I don't think there will be any issues.

If the tom is 2. Unless he didn't have hens at his old home he should be a smooth operator.

Back
Top Bottom