Is my pot belly pig pregnant?!?!?

Pics

Havenhill Farn

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Horton,Al
Hi everyone, I bought a pot belly big for my hubby. She was 6 mons old when we got her and now we have had for a month. I have researched and talked with people and they say she possible could be breed. She has become more swayed back and her belly is huge yet thin around the ribs. Her girlie parts(hehe) are swollen more than normal for atleast a week or two and she has started to get boobies. I am going to try and post pics but she didn't want her picture taken plus ferbie our goat was standing on my back. Please someone help me out, if she is preggo how far a long do you think she is? Or am i just crazy?!?!?

Lol! That pig looks a lot like yours in the belly area. maybe you should break out the bebe sounds monitor and listen to her belly havenhill... Worth a try and if nothing else something for the neighbor to laugh at...

XD a syscope (What ever the thing that the doctor/vet use to listen to the heart!) does wonders!

I would never have had the patience to just be sitting and waiting "in case" she could have babies any day!!! I am sooo impatient!! Lol The vet would have been at my house a long time ago!

Hello everyone! So I rescued my Jojo and her man back in Sept and was told that my male was neutered. Well I walk out to my enclosure to feed one morning and Mr. was mounting this Mrs. I have researched and asked if males will still perform the act even if neutered and get different answers. If he is truly not neutered then she is due Feb 12th. I have them separated now because it' getting closer and I don't want to take any chances. In the last two weeks she has put on some serious weight but don't know if its babies or just getting fat. What do u all think?

Pigs like sex a LOT, so yes, neutered males will still do it. If they were more than 3 weeks old when fixed, they've already got the urge (many farm pigs are neutered at about 3 days old)
Your girl doesn't look pregnant right now, just fat. You can see the fat building around her shoulders and the ridge above her leg muscle and there's no udder development.

Now, that's not to say she isn't, because especially if it's her first, sometimes they don't show signs until right before, and a fat pig hides a pregnancy well. But if the Mr isn't fixed, his "boys" will be pretty noticeable.

Whether she's pregnant or not, put her on a diet. She can have all the hay and green veggies she wants (they will eat a LOT of hay) but seriously restrict her grain and starches. Like, lots of zuchinni, easy on carrots and potatoes. Potbellies were bred to get fat on a high-fiber diet and get seriously obese on grain - it's like feeding a kid a steady diet of cake. It's a nice treat, but not a mainstay. Especially if she is pregnant, you don't want her fat - it can lead to a difficult birth. I've raised potbellies for 8 years now, and birthing difficulties are the leading cause of death, but can be almost totally avoided by keeping them fit. Diet and exercise is the trick.

Pigs like sex a LOT, so yes, neutered males will still do it. If they were more than 3 weeks old when fixed, they've already got the urge (many farm pigs are neutered at about 3 days old)
Your girl doesn't look pregnant right now, just fat. You can see the fat building around her shoulders and the ridge above her leg muscle and there's no udder development.

Now, that's not to say she isn't, because especially if it's her first, sometimes they don't show signs until right before, and a fat pig hides a pregnancy well. But if the Mr isn't fixed, his "boys" will be pretty noticeable.

Whether she's pregnant or not, put her on a diet. She can have all the hay and green veggies she wants (they will eat a LOT of hay) but seriously restrict her grain and starches. Like, lots of zuchinni, easy on carrots and potatoes. Potbellies were bred to get fat on a high-fiber diet and get seriously obese on grain - it's like feeding a kid a steady diet of cake. It's a nice treat, but not a mainstay. Especially if she is pregnant, you don't want her fat - it can lead to a difficult birth. I've raised potbellies for 8 years now, and birthing difficulties are the leading cause of death, but can be almost totally avoided by keeping them fit. Diet and exercise is the trick.
Thank you for advice and I will put her on a diet and we will see what happens!!!

Back
Top Bottom