Is my rooster a fashion critic?

tennesseeckn

Real or not real?
10 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Knoxville Area
I have an eighteen-week-old SLW rooster that has suddenly started challenging me. He's the only rooster on the place and he has two SLW hens, one of which looks like might start laying soon. He's already challenged and conquered my nine pound dog. He nearly tore a crow apart that snuck into the run to eat their food while they were out free ranging. But he has always been really sweet to me and my kids.

He has never actually made contact with me. He just dashes up to my leg with his hackles raised. If I turn around and stomp my foot he gets all outraged, "bagok! bagok! bagok!" (out of kicking range). This has happened three times. Today I realized that every time it has happened I have been wearing capri pants with strings hanging down from about mid-calf level. He seems to be staring at those when he dashes at me.

So, the question is... Is he a hormone-ridden jerk or does he hate my pants?

My 8 week olds go bonkers over my tennis shoestrings. I've stopped wearing them to the run. Probably all pullets (I hope).

Sounds like a hormone laden jerk to me. Unless you put him in his place he will probably start hitting you next. I think RoosterRed has a good page on roo training (or attempted training anyway since sometimes no matter what you do it doesn't work). I recommend you don't go in there without long pants until you adjust his attitude- they can do some damage. Also be mindful of him so he doesn't fly up and spur your face. One roo for two hens is bad odds for the hens- pretty soon he'll be driving them nuts too. Unless you plan to get more hens or separate them you might consider getting rid of him..... good luck whatever you choose to do!

Agh! lleighmae has scared me to death!

I just tied up my pants and went back out to let them run around. He's acting more normal. Before he was tense / fidgety.

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to follow the tips. For example, I always let him eat first, because he was the most demanding.

I'm just gonna hafta show him who's boss. Diss MY pants, will ya?

Sorry tennesseeckn- I didn't mean to alarm you unnecessarily. I was blessed with a WONDERFUL SLW first roo (accidental in my first batch of pullets) who spoiled me though I never meant to have roos. He was killed by a foster dog while doing his job (my fault). My next accidental roo is a speckled sussex. He's beautiful but has been a flaming )#&)*%. I've been working on adjusting his attitude but not sure if he's going to make it. He's doing much better but I'm still waiting to see how it turns out. Sometimes he'll go for weeks before trying again. Because of him I always wear long pants in the pen (usually bib overalls which are so baggy all he gets is air if he feels froggy) so if he does decide to come after me it won't do any damage. Mostly he's sneaky but sometimes quite brazen. He started out acting just like your roo, though he was handled as much as a baby as my previous roo Dexter was. Dex never acted like that so I know from personal experience there are good roos, but I've learned to pay attention to behavior that I probably should have noticed earlier on if I'd been expecting it. NOBODY disses my pants either (well, except my family)!!!! All that being said I noticed my hens seemed much less happy in the interim between Dex and Norton. If he does have to go I'll definitely have another, but I've got 20 hens too (good old chicken math!)

This summer I realized that my adult rooster Thor hates pink flip flops. Thor is a good boy so he doesn't do more than voice his disapproval of them, but roos can get very upset by brightly colored clothing or footwear they are not used to seeing on their human slaves.

I don't have a rooster, but my hens peck the crap out of snaps and ties, and you don't even wanna see what happens when I wear my cute yellow barn clogs with the red ladybugs on them!!

Back
Top Bottom