Is my Turkey hen broody?

Pearlescent

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2024
image.jpg
My 10-11 month old Turkey hen has been laying almost everyday for the last month. I have been taking her eggs every night, but I recently got her fake eggs to see if she’d sit on them. She sits on them daily, as well as lays an egg everyday, I usually have to remove her from the box. We don’t have a male so they aren’t fertile. Unless she is one of the turkeys who can lay fertilized eggs on their own, which I doubt. She usually hops out on her own eventually, but if she gets in there near dark she doesn’t get out to sleep on her perch. She pushes eggs under her body if I give them to her whilst she is sitting. I honestly don’t know what to do, but I’m leaving her in overnight, if she doesn’t get out on her own. Will update tomorrow. She sits very still in box unless disturbed. Usually with her head down.

:welcome Are you trying to get her to go broody?
I’m not sure yet, because I don’t really have enough room for more birds in my flock, but I wouldn’t mind letting her hatch some, I just wouldn’t be able to keep them for more than 3-4 months

Sounds broody. If you can find some fertile turkey eggs locally, you can give her some. If not it would be best to break her of being broody.
Thanks, how would I go about breaking her? I’ve done research but I can’t find much on the topic

I’m not sure yet, because I don’t really have enough room for more birds in my flock, but I wouldn’t mind letting her hatch some, I just wouldn’t be able to keep them for more than 3-4 months
Do you have access to fertile eggs if not I wouldn't try to purposefully make her go broody for no reason.

Do you have access to fertile eggs if not I wouldn't try to purposefully make her go broody for no reason.
I don’t directly have any, but I’m sure I could get some from someone locally. I want to make her stop being broody, but I don’t think it’d be good to put her in a cage for to long. She gets very angry and won’t settle if she doesn’t feel like she’s in a good place. I would rather let her hatch eggs than risk ruining my close bond with her due to cold water plunges or being kept in a cage.

Remove her nest box. Don't leave more than one fake egg for her.
I don’t really think that’s possible for me to do, cause that’s the only place she will lay. And she lays almost everyday so I wouldn’t want to make her feel like she couldn’t lay her eggs. I don’t wanna risk her getting egg bound.

I don’t directly have any, but I’m sure I could get some from someone locally. I want to make her stop being broody, but I don’t think it’d be good to put her in a cage for to long. She gets very angry and won’t settle if she doesn’t feel like she’s in a good place. I would rather let her hatch eggs than risk ruining my close bond with her due to cold water plunges or being kept in a cage.
No need to cage a turkey hen to break the broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom