Is perlite harmful?

joesandy1822

Songster
12 Years
Apr 26, 2012
I‘ve noticed that my two adopted ducks have taken a liking to perlite, either out of my potted plants, or they visit a pile of used potting soil from years past and pick it out of there. I do have a dish of “proper” poultry grit for them, as well as oyster shells for calcium. I’ve NEVER seen them even take a nibble from either of those. But they seriously love perlite. Is it harmful? It is just volcanic puffed rock if I’m understanding correctly. Thank you!

I don't think it's poisonous and shouldn't be a problem unless they're eating so much it could cause a blockage?
Also I don't know how it might be treated and packaged.
Sorry I'm not more help!

I don't think it's poisonous and shouldn't be a problem unless they're eating so much it could cause a blockage?
Also I don't know how it might be treated and packaged.
Sorry I'm not more help!
Thank you for your thoughts! They seriously love it. I’m thinking it is just another source of grit. They don’t touch the stuff I bought them. But they forage my back yard daily, so I’m sure they’re finding plenty in different forms anyway. I did a quick Google search, and apparently most ducks and chickens love the stuff. 😂

Hi,
My quail also love to eat perlite from my used pot soil, which is the soil they have in their pens. But they also love crushed oysters, eggshells etc... I don't know if it's bad for them, but I don't think it is good either. I haven't seen any specific effects.
Regards

Back
Top Bottom