Is rhubarb poisonous ? Because our chickens just ate a lot of it!

I thought that I'd just come back here and add one thing:

A lot of vegetables that are in our kitchens and on our dinner tables have some oxalate. It isn't the most terrible of things in low amounts.

Steve
edited to say, "some" oxalate

Last edited:
No it isn't. We had a rhubarb patch when I was in grade school and one year I had a rabbit. That rabbit ate the entire patch and every time it sprouted up from the roots, he ate it off again. He was not sick once the entire time I had him. Just because it is poisonous to us does not mean that it is poisonous to all animals. I couldn't tell you if it is poisonous to chickens, but I can say from personal experience that it does not hurt rabbits.

I lost faith in the idea that the chickens would know what is good for the, when I saw them munching on styrofoam...

I have found silver dimes and costume jewelry in the gizzards of chickens along with all most all other forms of hardware. Nothing I am aware of is poisonous to chickens except maybe for ice cream rock salt and then they must eat enough of it to make a cow puke. The idea that Styrofoam is bad for chickens is an acquired human prejudice and it has no scientific basis.

Please help? my big girl daisy was given 7 fert eggs as she became rediculously broody...problem.... 1st baby hatched. ...a gorgeous black bantam i think the breeder said.. daisy attackef it 2nd day and now i have bub in a box with me.... my lavender arocarner? is wondering around lonely and clearly upset. tbe other 6 havnt hatched...4days on.... did i handle her baby too soon or dus she feel the others r threatened by the chik? the breeder said i vould hold it straight away... i waited a day.. she will def kill it if i put it near her.. help? thanku

Back
Top Bottom