Is there anything you can't feed a chicken???

dutchbunny83

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
I've been keeping chickens for about 6 months and the things they eat have been quite surprising, I've seen them swallow lizards whole.

I was a bit taken back by the amount of people that feed their chickens eggs, never thought of it I guess.

Mine love when I bring out corn cobs and watermelon rinds left over from dinner. Instead of wasting, I've been thinking about feeding table scraps, but didn't know if there were anything you SHOULDN'T give chickens?

Also, we don't eat meat, but do have shrimp on occassion. I used to have a dog that went crazy over shrimp shells/ tails, can chickens eat that?

There are certain things they probably won't eat: onion, avocado, citrus, banana peels. I thought they would go crazy for shrimp tails but they don't get that excited over them (though eventually they do all get eaten). I've found they have pretty good instincts about what they should and shouldn't eat (styrofoam excluded) so I'll offer them about anything. If its not good for them or something they don't like, they'll just turn their beaks up at it and leave it on the ground.

Okay thanks!
I have one sitting on the counter that's about to turn, I was going to throw it out there to them.

Are there any other foods besides avocado that could harm them?

Okay thanks!
I have one sitting on the counter that's about to turn, I was going to throw it out there to them.

Are there any other foods besides avocado that could harm them?
Personally, I've had them eat avocado with no ill effects. However I would say it is not one of their favorite things.

Mine have eaten avocado and no one's died yet. I agree, it's not their favorite and they ignore the peels or pits. Mine also don't eat onion, banana peels or citrus peels but will eat the fruits. Potato peels *gasp, even with some green on them!* get chucked in the run. Usually ignored.

I was taught growing up that chickens would eat anything that didn't eat them first. All my food scraps go to the chickens. They either eat them or scratch them into the ground of the run and they compost.

Question: With all of these food scraps being fed to the chickens, is there any chance that they will begin to be less likely to eat their feed and wait until you come out the house with your leftovers? I only ask this because that's what my dogs started doing after a while (although completely different than chickens) was just curious...

Back
Top Bottom