Is there something I can use instead of grit?

Chick2chicken

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2017
Canada
I can't find any grit available near me so if I can't find something that could substitute for grit I'd need to order it in.
Is there something i could use instead of grit? I was thinking maybe dried up corn or something hard like that, can that replace grit or do I need to get some real grit?
Thanks
Chick2chicken

You don’t tell us where you are. If you are in the US when we talk about grit we mean the hard rocks they use to grind up food in their gizzard. In the UK that’s called insoluble grit. They call oyster shell soluble grit. I don’t know what is customary in other countries. I’ll assume you are talking about insoluble grit.

Do they have access to the ground? If so, they should be finding their own grit. One exception to this is if you live on reclaimed swamp muck in south Louisiana or something similar where you can’t find a rock for anything. If you put them out on the ground you see them often pecking the ground. One of the things they are pecking is grit. They are really good at finding their own grit.

They can use about any rock for grit. Anything about the size of a green pea or smaller can work for adult full sized fowl. The harder it is the longer it will last. The grit we buy is granite, it’s very hard and readily available from granite quarries, but about any other rock will work. Do you have access to small rock? A gravel bar in a stream or river might be a decent source. It does need to be a rock, hard corn will not work.

Have you asked at the feed store, I agree they should have it?

The feed store is far away, got the feed coming back from a trip, we live in a city so there aren't any chicken supply stores...

I can't find any grit available near me so if I can't find something that could substitute for grit I'd need to order it in. 
Is there something i could use instead of grit? I was thinking maybe dried up corn or something hard like that, can that replace grit or do I need to get some real grit? 
Thanks
Chick2chicken
do u have a rural King they carry it also at Tsc Walmart has small bags also

I do not buy grit. I just gather up very small stones (very tiny sized for new chicks) from a sandy place on my property where adult chickens do not frequent. Some sand is in there also, and that is okay, because the chicks get some outdoor microbes from the sand, acclimating them to being outside. I just put some in with their chick food periodically, and careful not to use too large of pebbles, and not too much at one time.

Last edited:
I give my chicks a plug of sod within the first 2 weeks. I live in Maine, where rocks seem to be a primary crop, so... plenty of grit in my soil. I also go into the driveway and shovel up some of the gravel. There are areas where the rain/water flow has removed more of the smaller granules, leaving a nice assortment of sizes for chicks/to hen sized sampling pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom