Is this a badly healed broken foot? Is she in pain? Help!

Is she okay or should she be euthanized?

• I think she's okay

• Probably put her down

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah, I'll try to get some shots of it tonight and maybe a video so you guys can see/hear her. I have no idea if chickens make a sound when they are in pain, I know they do try to mask the pain that they are in and I certainly don't want her to be suffering. I just hate to see them put her down if she's alright.

I've thought about seeing if they can add a ramp for her, I just don't know when that would happen since the museum that runs it doesn't have a lot of funding. If I wasn't hurting for money I'd probably fund it myself.

Bumble foot is a terrible problem with chickens, thankfully none of mine have it because they’re free range. You see other people’s hens with serious cases of bumble foot and the owner doesn’t even know it. Hens kept in dirty muddy pens are prone to bumble foot. Get mite drops from your local vet to get rid of them.

I agree with @KikisGirls that we’d all appreciate a picture of the bottom of that foot.

if you can, both foot bottoms would be even more helpful.
Comparison is always good.

From the top it looks like a bad bumble in the main foot pad and from there down the toe.
And some of the scales look a little lifted as well which could be scaly legs mites.

Bumble is treatable but takes dedication and a fair amount of time and effort.

Only a clear photo of the foot from underneath will tell
How bad it is.

Yeah, as I said, I'll try and get some pictures when I go to put them away in a few hours. I don't *think* it's bumblefoot because I've never noticed any cyst or anything, mostly she just walks on the side of her foot or sometimes even the top of her foot as it is curled under her uselessly. But I'll definitely get the best pictures I can since I'll be doing it alone. Not sure if I will be able to hold her and snap a photo.

I only started volunteering there about a month ago, so I have no idea what the history of the flock is. I know the coop area did used to be pretty dirty, but they recently cleaned it up and installed a poop board under the roost to catch muck. I'll take photos.

Wait those nails are overgrown? I might need to trim my girl's nails then, although I've never noticed any issues. I will get pictures and see if you guys think they need to be trimmed? But of course on my own thread so I don't hijack this one. I just don't want my hens to be suffering unknowingly. I am also now paranoid about bumblefoot because their old coop and run used to be pretty small and gross but now they are in a much bigger, cleaner one. I've never noticed bumblefoot but I'm not really sure what it looks like. I know some of them did have scaly leg mites and I put castor oil on their legs but I think they're still having issues so I might need to retreat. Anyway, I am now paranoid my hens are suffering or something although they all seem perfectly fine. I seriously may consider a vet visit to be 100% sure and also cause digging out an infection sounds so gross but a vet visit for 7 hens might be pretty pricey.

Back
Top Bottom