Is this a badly healed broken foot? Is she in pain? Help!

Is she okay or should she be euthanized?

• I think she's okay

• Probably put her down

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wait those nails are overgrown? I might need to trim my girl's nails then, although I've never noticed any issues. I will get pictures and see if you guys think they need to be trimmed? But of course on my own thread so I don't hijack this one. I just don't want my hens to be suffering unknowingly. I am also now paranoid about bumblefoot because their old coop and run used to be pretty small and gross but now they are in a much bigger, cleaner one. I've never noticed bumblefoot but I'm not really sure what it looks like. I know some of them did have scaly leg mites and I put castor oil on their legs but I think they're still having issues so I might need to retreat. Anyway, I am now paranoid my hens are suffering or something although they all seem perfectly fine. I seriously may consider a vet visit to be 100% sure and also cause digging out an infection sounds so gross but a vet visit for 7 hens might be pretty pricey.
Do you see this one:
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 7.59.32 PM.png

I'm not sure if everyone knows (I'm sure many do but...) but bumblefoot is an infection from a cut or scrape on the foot. They can get this cut or scrape in any number of ways but one of the most common ways is the chicken jumping down from a height too high for their weight. The impact on the floor causes a small crack in the pad and that becomes infected if the coop/run is dirty. It's not strictly because of a dirty coop or run, the bacteria has to be introduced into the tissues through a crack or cut or scrape on the foot or foot pad. It creates a "core" that shows as inflammation and black scab looking thing. In the early stages, the core doesn't have the black yet, it may look like a regular foot pad that is swollen and hot or even maybe pink to red but in this particular case, since it has been going on so long, IF it is bumblefoot, there would be a black circle scab on the underside of the foot. That is what would need to be dug out. I don't want everyone to think that just because they haven't scooped the coop in 3 days that their chickens are doomed to get bumblefoot :) I hope this helps reduce a few fears.

Toenails are grossly overgrown and need to be trimmed. That plus the possibility of bumblefoot may be causing her problems. She's a long way from needing euthanasia.

I agree here, the toenails seriously need attention and no, I don't believe euthanasia is necessary for this girl.

Okay! Updates! I think that spot does look like bumblefoot after all! Though it seems very small, perhaps healing? They have cleaned out the coop since I started volunteering here and it is much cleaner than it used to be, so maybe it's getting better on its own? She actually did seem like she was moving around better today, didn't take her nearly as long to get back in the coop. I've been feeding her extra protein and handfeeding her lots of veggies/scratch so the other chickens can't steal it from her.

Anyway, here are the pictures. Should I add them to the original post? They aren't super great, but the only help I had were a pair of teenagers who were walking by that I asked to take photos for me while I held her.

Good foot:
79houIw.jpg

Bad foot:
OFF0dAD.jpg

jTWxCTf.jpg

I'm also going to post a video link in the OP so you can get an idea of how she's walking on it. I wonder if she'll always have a limp even if we are able to fix it.

So epsom salt? Surgery? What's the best fix for this old girl, d'ya think?

Okay! Updates! I think that spot does look like bumblefoot after all! Though it seems very small, perhaps healing? They have cleaned out the coop since I started volunteering here and it is much cleaner than it used to be, so maybe it's getting better on its own? She actually did seem like she was moving around better today, didn't take her nearly as long to get back in the coop. I've been feeding her extra protein and handfeeding her lots of veggies/scratch so the other chickens can't steal it from her.

Anyway, here are the pictures. Should I add them to the original post? They aren't super great, but the only help I had were a pair of teenagers who were walking by that I asked to take photos for me while I held her.

Good foot:
79houIw.jpg

Bad foot:
OFF0dAD.jpg

jTWxCTf.jpg

I'm also going to post a video link in the OP so you can get an idea of how she's walking on it. I wonder if she'll always have a limp even if we are able to fix it.

So epsom salt? Surgery? What's the best fix for this old girl, d'ya think?

hmm, it does look a little bit like a bumble but I've seen FAR worse ones, I don't think that one would cause her toes to do what they are. An epsom salt soak would be the first step, that will help with the bumble, infection and possibly even the crooked foot/toes, maybe not miraculous on the first soak, I don't this being an over night cure or anything but if you could get the ligaments and joints to relax, maybe she would walk a little more normally. I was fully expecting to see a dime sized black scab under there from the way her toes are crooked and your description of how she walks. She must have something else going on with the toes.

Does that black spot feel hard or hot? The pad looks soft and slightly swollen, am I seeing it correctly? Also, if you look at the one picture, it looks like something is sticking out of the bumble, like a thorn or something, is that the case or is it a shadow?

I'm not sure, I didn't touch it. Some photos of Bumble I've seen looked like they had protrusions coming out of the spot so I thought that was just part of the infection.

I go over there again on Saturday morning, I can see if she will let me touch it...will it make me sick in any way to touch it? I feel like I should wear gloves, isn't it like a staph infection?

I'm not sure, I didn't touch it. Some photos of Bumble I've seen looked like they had protrusions coming out of the spot so I thought that was just part of the infection.

I go over there again on Saturday morning, I can see if she will let me touch it...will it make me sick in any way to touch it? I feel like I should wear gloves, isn't it like a staph infection?

You can wear gloves if that makes you feel better but unless it's seeping, there is no real risk, just wash your hands and use hand sanitizer after you touch it.

Okay. Is there anything else I should do other than the epsom soak? Is there any other known treatment that works other than surgery? The museum doesn't really have much of a vet budget but I'm sure they could purchase some medication if needed.

Okay. Is there anything else I should do other than the epsom soak? Is there any other known treatment that works other than surgery? The museum doesn't really have much of a vet budget but I'm sure they could purchase some medication if needed.

Well, I'm a medicinal herbalist, so this is kind of a loaded question for me lol. I'm always nervous giving my suggestions because I've had so many negative reactions but...if it were me, I would do the soaks twice a day, while the scab is soft I would see if I could scratch the surface off gently (if it is a scab) and put some tea tree oil that is mixed with either grape seed oil or jojoba oil or some sweet carrier oil (coconut oil would be acceptable since it is relatively cheap and easy to get) and rub that in then bandage it. Mixed 2 drops tea tree with 5 or 6 drops carrier oil. Then I would watch it for improvement or decline. I'm sorry that I can't suggest more, I'm sure someone will have something more modern medicine for you.

Have you seen success treating bumblefoot with those things? I'm in Colorado, everyone is all about natural medicine here, haha, so I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed to trying that as long as it fixes her.

Also, I posted the video in the OP if that is helpful for anyone to see.

Back
Top Bottom