Is this a cream legbar or was I dooped?

Chicken pickin and pickles thanks for being so kind to me. For the others, I feel like I should defend myself:

Yes it is a severe crossbeak. However, at the feed store they said it was able to eat fine. I felt it's crop and it was halfway full so I felt like this was true. Then I took the chick to a veterinarian and he said that if the chick was able to eat on it's own and fill it's crop then he didn't see any reason to cull yet. It is only slightly smaller than the others so I don't think it has poor nutrition. I don't feel like it's had a miserable life. It was hurtful to read that as I wanted to give it a chance, and I try to take care of my animals. Not many people actually take their birds to a vet, and it would have been culled then if he felt it was a bad quality of life.

As for the rooster comment... I was under the assumption I was buying an autosexing breed so I would avoid getting a male. This is what they said it was, and I paid a higher price for it. It wasn't like I bought straight run and hoped for the best.

If it was y'all's goal to be hurtful then you have succeeded. Please be aware there is a person on the other side of the computer when you make assumptions and mean remarks. I came for advice on breed and was attacked. This is my last post on BYC, but I will probably still lurk. Good luck to anyone who asks for friendly advice as this site is lacking.

Chicken pickin and pickles thanks for being so kind to me. For the others, I feel like I should defend myself:

Yes it is a severe crossbeak. However, at the feed store they said it was able to eat fine. I felt it's crop and it was halfway full so I felt like this was true. Then I took the chick to a veterinarian and he said that if the chick was able to eat on it's own and fill it's crop then he didn't see any reason to cull yet. It is only slightly smaller than the others so I don't think it has poor nutrition. I don't feel like it's had a miserable life. It was hurtful to read that as I wanted to give it a chance, and I try to take care of my animals. Not many people actually take their birds to a vet, and it would have been culled then if he felt it was a bad quality of life.

As for the rooster comment... I was under the assumption I was buying an autosexing breed so I would avoid getting a male. This is what they said it was, and I paid a higher price for it. It wasn't like I bought straight run and hoped for the best.

If it was y'all's goal to be hurtful then you have succeeded. Please be aware there is a person on the other side of the computer when you make assumptions and mean remarks. I came for advice on breed and was attacked. This is my last post on BYC, but I will probably still lurk. Good luck to anyone who asks for friendly advice as this site is lacking.

Welcome. Please don't leave because of what one person said. Sometimes when a person is passionate about something they have tunnel vision and see their side only. You chose a legbar which should be an autosexing breed. Once their little heads dry out, a yellow dot usually denotes a male and the lack thereof, a female, (subject to some glitches, I guess.) Not everyone is allowed to keep roosters. They try to do the best thing and stack the odds in their favor by getting autosexing breeds, sex links or sexed birds. Unfortunately it is not always 100% effective.
And crossbeaks do happen. I know several people with them and I have a little hen that seemed fine as a baby and a few weeks later a crossbeak developed. Thankfully she is growing with the rest, seems to be able to eat and drink so hopefully she will be all right. And she is well loved. Not all chickens hatch 100% perfect.
Make yourself at home, Wyleiria, look at the information given, and you will find the majority of people on here try to be helpful.

He's a mixed breed cockerel, sorry. He may have been someone's Olive Egger project, who knows?

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a beautiful bird no matter what others say. Just because he has a little trouble doesn't mean that hes a bad thing. I have a golden laced Wyandotte hem with a scissor beak and she is perfectly fine. I understand if you do not want to or can't keep a rooster, that is your business. Good luck anyways
1f60a.png
and Welcome to BYC

I have cleaned up this thread. The OP did not start this topic to be ridiculed about the condition of this bird. So please refrain from attacking members in the future.

Thank you.

-Staff

Back
Top Bottom