Is this a female Turkey? - NEW PICS & NEW TURKEYS!

TinaK

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Australia
Hi Guys!

Turkey novice here. I'm looking to start breeding them at some stage down the track.. Just wanted someone to confirm for me whether my current Turkey is a girl or a boy! I say girl.... but I could be wrong
wink.png

Turkey & best friend - Trigger the Muscovy

Never seen any signs of strutting or anything like that!

Looking forward to your responses
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Probably just over 6 months of age. I got him/her at the start of November last year and I think it was about 12 weeks old when I got it.....

well according to the fact that she hasn't started gobbling or strutting & her wattle, snood, & caruncles are relatively small i'm guessing she's a girl :) congrats! & if she doesn't start laying w/in the next 6months-year then either something's wrong w her or she's a boy

Thanks guys! I thought she was a 'she'... but wanted someone else's opinion. She acts quite 'girly'... Now I just have to find her a nice white gobbler friend
smile.png

Some new turkeys came home today! An unexpected purchase! I have been looking for a while and had found some advertised online that were about 3 hours away from me. I didn't want to do the trip and then the other day, the seller unexpected told me he would be travelling my direction if I wanted to meet him somewhere! So I did!

So now I'm worried. Although my original turkey is probably 4 months older.... mine looks suspiciously like the young male to me! I've never had anything to do with turkeys so I'm just learning as I go! I have no idea how they mature?

Looking at my 2 new ones.. I can clearly see the difference in sex. It's obvious. But looking at my original one..... does anyone else think it could be a male now? lol!

It was a bit stressed out by the new arrivals... but by the end the young turkeys were stealing food out of it's mouth!

And the new little girl
smile.png

Yep! Looks like a boy! He is still very young. In the next month his snood will get longer and the bumps on his neck will fill out. He might even start strutting soon.
It takes them a year to start breeding so be patient.
wink.png

They will have to work out a pecking order and there will be some nasty little disagreements but things will settle down in the end. Your new food might seem really exciting and until they know they are going to get it every day they might fight for it for a while - so steer away from snacks until everyone knows the drill.
Your new duck is very handsome!
I see you want to get geese. I did this last year and no longer have them. They love to make mud pies in the water dishes. --and any clean dish is even better than the last. I was cleaning out water dishes 3 times a day. I couldn't keep up.
barnie.gif
I gave up on geese. I do miss all the honking. Congrats on your new birds! It will be fun making more!
jumpy.gif

I still say female. She looks just like my girls. Eva gets really red in the face like that, but Gracie only reds up once in a while. She also appears to have the longer body less chesty look of a hen. Even my young boys will look more chesty. Of course I raise BBWs, but the hens aren't shaped like the toms from very young. Well anyway she looks like a hen to me.

Back
Top Bottom