Is this a rat?

Quote:
Oh you don't know how much I hope he was the only one! I think what finally got him was lack of water, he must have gone to drink from the kiddie pool and fallen in. That, or the geese drowned him. I wouldn't put that past them, they can be really mean, but the simpler explanation is MF fell in.

I stopped leaving feed in my chicken feeders (poor chickens would mob me every morning when I went out), and just kept filling the tunnels in with gravel. Then I put gravel all around the outside of the barn to make it harder for him dig in. I hadn't seen any activity for weeks, but I was sure he was still coming around, just not digging tunnels anymore.

At that point, I was happy just to be rid of the tunnels. Last week I had to do a count on my chickens so I caught them all and locked them up in different pens. I put their water in with them and without the tunnels, MF couldn't get to the water. I'm surprised he could get his fat little butt up into the kiddie pool.

If I see any sign of more rats, Papas Chickens and ktn65 have volunteered to come out and stay in my barn until they kill them.
wink.png

Quote: Or what if siblings and cousins and all his predator family stop by to offer their respects! YIKES!

You two are terrible!! No pictures for you!

Oh you don't know how much I hope he was the only one! I think what finally got him was lack of water, he must have gone to drink from the kiddie pool and fallen in. That, or the geese drowned him. I wouldn't put that past them, they can be really mean, but the simpler explanation is MF fell in.

I stopped leaving feed in my chicken feeders (poor chickens would mob me every morning when I went out), and just kept filling the tunnels in with gravel. Then I put gravel all around the outside of the barn to make it harder for him dig in. I hadn't seen any activity for weeks, but I was sure he was still coming around, just not digging tunnels anymore.

At that point, I was happy just to be rid of the tunnels. Last week I had to do a count on my chickens so I caught them all and locked them up in different pens. I put their water in with them and without the tunnels, MF couldn't get to the water. I'm surprised he could get his fat little butt up into the kiddie pool.

If I see any sign of more rats, Papas Chickens and ktn65 have volunteered to come out and stay in my barn until they kill them.
wink.png
Im down for that, $20 a hour sounds fair lol.
jumpy.gif

I've never seen a 'wild' rat marked like that. Wonder if it was someone's pet that got away?
Anyway - congrats. Loner or not, now you know how to handle it. :)

I've never seen a 'wild' rat marked like that. Wonder if it was someone's pet that got away?
Anyway - congrats. Loner or not, now you know how to handle it. :)
It fur is sloughing off from being in the water...the lighter portions you see are skin I believe.

That sounds pretty safe and easy if dish is pushed down in hole where birds can't get to it. Then the culprit could be identified. Hope it's not too good to be true. I have mice under my shed so I think I may go try and find some Fast Set and see what happens.

O.K. For everyone who has been wondering if the oatmeal and QuickCrete concrete mix works on killing rodents. I have somewhat of an update. I was able to purchase a small bucket of the QuickCrete and mixed it with oatmeal. My DH cleaned up the shed and all the rodent feces. Put the oatmeal and QuickCrete in a plastic bowl and set it in the shed. No evidence that it was eaten. Then I decided to just dump some on the floor. It was eaten!! Unfortunately, I did not find the culprit who ate it. On the PLUS side, there is no evidence of rodent feces to this point. If I find a dead rodent at some point, I'll check back in. I'm determined to get rid of the critters because I think they attracted the b@st@rd weasel who killed my roo. Since voles go under the shed, I'll have to put some under the shed as well.

Back
Top Bottom