Is this a Roo?

mdshec

Chirping
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Abilene Texas
I think I have a young rooster. Can someone please confirm. It is production red just over 3 months old. Starting to see what appears to me as saddle feathers. The feet and legs are larger than my RIR that are 1.5 years old. I heard one of the young ones try to crow but have not seen it for sure. Getting some small fetus in my eggs (don't want any fertilized eggs) from my older hens.

Sorry about the blurry pictures.

Compared to my RIR's: the possible roo on the left. Feet are larger.

possible Roo in the foreground.

Possible ROO exit stage left. Notice the feed are noticeably larger than my full grown RIR.

Possible Roo center stage of my 2 RIR. at 3 months already taller and comb seems much larger.

Hackle feathers seem to be more pointed. Also starting to get what appears to be saddle feathers

Best pic I got of the possible roo. Hackle feathers noticeably darker, pointed. What appears to be saddle feathers forming. Tail feathers seem pointed and curling down.

Yeah, that's a roo
hit.gif

Can you have roos where you live? If so, fertilized eggs aren't any different than normal eggs unless you decide to hatch. You may cctually enjoy having him if he's polite. I find roos (The nice one, lol) to be sweet and more affectionate then the hens
big_smile.png

As of right now yes, Abilene Texas allows roosters in the city limits. I realize that fertilized eggs are not much different in taste. But in the Texas summer time, they start to incubate without a hen sitting on them.

I would love to keep a rooster around the house and see what some young chicks turn out like with the mix of breeds I have., but with the Texas heat I have already been getting eggs with small fetus' growing in them. It is easy to pick out, and with the cooler months approaching I will not get this. My wife has drawn the line. No Rooster period.

I had planned on putting 3 of laying hens in the freezer, but I guess it will be a roo and 2 of the older hens when the youngens start to lay.

Back
Top Bottom