Is this a Roo?

Just a heads up, blue buff isn't an APA recognized variety. I know in some fairs that doesn't matter but it did when I was a kid in mine. :) For mine in particular, open class could be unrecognized breeds and varieties however. I entered in some rarer breeds in 4-H not knowing this and they all were DQ-ed which is a pretty disappointing experience for a kid! Definitely look into that first!
Good call, thanks! I'll check the rulebook for accepted breeds/ colors before we enter him... if I need to, I'll ask our agent at the extension office first. It would be super disappointing to have him DQ'ed! And he's such a pretty bird, it would be a shame not to show him in some class or another. ☺

I've got to check anyway for some of our other chooks, Sweetheart is a black bantam Ameraucana (blue egger) who he wants to enter as one of his egg production birds, but I need to see if that's an accepted breed in that class. Last year he won Grand Champion in Egg Production with our light Brahma, Henrietta - even though she had several imperfections due to being part of a rescue flock (scaly leg mites damage, blind in one eye) he told the judge how much work he did to recover the flock and get them producing well, and the judge was super impressed at how much he learned overcoming those challenges. So this year he's going for grand champ in showmanship as well, and hoping to enter other classes with several of our new birds. Our county is weird... half city down the hill near Denver, half rural up in the mountains where we are... there aren't a ton of poultry entries like many 4-H shows, so he's got a good chance as long as his breeds aren't DQ'ed. 😂

Good call, thanks! I'll check the rulebook for accepted breeds/ colors before we enter him... if I need to, I'll ask our agent at the extension office first. It would be super disappointing to have him DQ'ed! And he's such a pretty bird, it would be a shame not to show him in some class or another. ☺

I've got to check anyway for some of our other chooks, Sweetheart is a black bantam Ameraucana (blue egger) who he wants to enter as one of his egg production birds, but I need to see if that's an accepted breed in that class. Last year he won Grand Champion in Egg Production with our light Brahma, Henrietta - even though she had several imperfections due to being part of a rescue flock (scaly leg mites damage, blind in one eye) he told the judge how much work he did to recover the flock and get them producing well, and the judge was super impressed at how much he learned overcoming those challenges. So this year he's going for grand champ in showmanship as well, and hoping to enter other classes with several of our new birds. Our county is weird... half city down the hill near Denver, half rural up in the mountains where we are... there aren't a ton of poultry entries like many 4-H shows, so he's got a good chance as long as his breeds aren't DQ'ed. 😂
If APA recognized breeds are required, Buff, Light, and Dark Brahmas are the only recognized varieties. Black Ameraucana Bantams are recognized! In production classes I don't believe breed/variety matters. I have never showed in those classes because I was more interested in conformation but I know at my fair Red Sexlinks would often win in the production classes which tells me only general health of the bird is taken into account. :) Some smaller fairs may not care though! Open class was always a safe bet for me as I believe they disregarded variety in the fine print. Doesn't help with 4-H but still a fun class! Growing up I've won best of show over all poultry in both open and 4-H classes and best in showmanship so let me know if you have any questions!! I've never done more than fairs so I'm certainly not the expert but I do love showing and think it's a great experience :)

Back
Top Bottom