Is This A Turkey?

Carrie S

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2015

I was given a box of chicks. In with the chicks was this larger bird. It is MUCH larger in every way... Thighs.... Feet...etc. Was wondering if it was a turkey. Can anyone help? Thank you!

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this course of action...

Low protein will more likely result in a weak bird which cannot walk than anything healthy. I have seen this first hand; the birds were on only 17% protein and they ceased walking prior to even normal butchering age.

And yes, they can be raised to maturity and kept alive... if they are half starved, kept on a constant restricted diet. It's difficult for experienced keepers - nearly impossible for a beginner. A big hassle... usually ending in heartbreak. Even if they can be kept alive, most won't live past a few years. A short difficult life is not worth it imo.

Four years of raising them like that, with no leg problems and them living up to two years reaching over 25 pounds kind of proves me right,,,go to that thread and see the amazing things we are doing to these birds I raise Mine on around 15 % and they do wonders,,, they will never live 4 or 5 years but they will live longer healthier and taste better

Last edited:
These statements are Not opinions. They are observations of the way My birds respond to different management techniques. In the end that is where the ACTUAL. problem with Cx occurs.Poor management

And another thing,after the birds hit maturity they DON'T eat as much. I don't starve my birds. I do control what they eat in a responsible manner.
People who have problems raising Cx typically,overfeed,overheat,and overcrowd the birds.A recipe for disaster with ANY animal

This is true, after they mature their metabolism slows and the urge to eat subsides. They need to have a distraction to keep them busy. They are like me if bored they eat.

When I fed mine like the "feed experts" instruct I had heart attacks, legs problems, birds that just laid in their own feces, kidney problems resulting in ascites. Restricting and lowering the protein ended that and I have healthy birds.

When allowed to free range they chase bugs and forage all day long scratching and hunting for morsels. They have the best personalities of any breed I know of.

I know when I told the guy at my local feed store I was feeding 15% protein I got the same line about the legs. When I told him I was processing 13 pound birds at 13 weeks of age he changed his tune and started asking me questions. He was amazed when I said I had a breeding CX rooster over a year old.

It's not a turkey - it's a Cornish Cross chicken. They are bred exclusively for meat purposes. They grow to maturity in 8 weeks and are not layers or pets - they do not have any longevity. If you attempt to grow them to maturity, they will almost always succumb to organ failure or cease walking and require euthanasia before they are fully grown.

If you know how to butcher and process meat animals yourself or are interested in learning you would do fine keeping it (it should be on a 20-24% non medicated chick start or broiler ration from now until slaughter), but if you are not someone who wishes to raise meat animals, you would do best to find a local backyard keeper who does and give it to them.

Thank you for such wonderful info! I best find someone who would want it. I'm not into butchering.... I just baby all of mine. Once again, thank you!

It's not a turkey - it's a Cornish Cross chicken. They are bred exclusively for meat purposes. They grow to maturity in 8 weeks and are not layers or pets - they do not have any longevity. If you attempt to grow them to maturity, they will almost always succumb to organ failure or cease walking and require euthanasia before they are fully grown.

If you know how to butcher and process meat animals yourself or are interested in learning you would do fine keeping it (it should be on a 20-24% non medicated chick start or broiler ration from now until slaughter), but if you are not someone who wishes to raise meat animals, you would do best to find a local backyard keeper who does and give it to them.

It is a Cornish cross, that is where are agreement ends.

Do not let him eat more than 20 minutes 2x a day. Lower the protein, and get him outside as soon as you can. He will get bigger and live longer.

Here is an award winning article on raising them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-large-table-birds

And I suggest this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...at-birds-and-super-excited/6250#post_17154635

Both will help you have a longer lived healthier bird.. Hope to see you there.

Thank you Duluthralphie,
I did read the info u sent. Very interesting! Thank you for your input and time. My hubby is talking about maybe having the Cornish Cross for dinner. Your info was helpful!!

Back
Top Bottom