Is this baby peacock a male or female?

Ok this is last years chick. Looked like a hen to me all along. But now tarted to make changes. I'll post pic now with changes ( it's not letting me add 2 photos at a time :) )

Last edited:
looks just like my 1yo male less a few tail feathers

Thanks. Do you know if that is a normal thing, to look like a hen for that long then make sudden changes in appearance? That's happened in a weeks time. We had two chicks last year and both were identical to mom until just this week. This is my first year with peafowl.

Thanks. Do you know if that is a normal thing, to look like a hen for that long then make sudden changes in appearance? That's happened in a weeks time. We had two chicks last year and both were identical to mom until just this week. This is my first year with peafowl.
Are you 100% sure its the same bird?

Chick in the lower left corner is likely a male not a female.

Hmm thanks. The chicks looked pretty much identical all this time to me. I guess I really need to work on telling the difference. Thanks for your help

Hmm thanks. The chicks looked pretty much identical all this time to me. I guess I really need to work on telling the difference. Thanks for your help
His striping is not as strong as most, so it would have been hard for anyone to be sure. I am not 100% sure either, but it looks male to me.

K this is same bird. Is it possible it was a male ?

I have watched peafowl grow up for 5 years now and there is no way this is the same birds, the facial markings are not even the same,and the Crest can not grow back in one week there would be blood on their head everywhere from the fast eruption and crowding someone has pulled a fast one on you and switch your peahen for a peacock IMO Peafowl molt rather slowly with the exception of the train of the peacock which can be dropped in less than a week .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom