Is this behavior normal? Muscovy

MommaMuscovy

Hatching
Jun 19, 2023
Hey y’all, I’m brand new to owning Muscovies and this site!
I brought home five, two week old Muscovies, they seemed to have been raised by the momma and not hand raised.
They’re very skittish and run all over the place like they’re scared to death when I do anything in their set up (clean water and food bowls, etc). Besides that, they’re typically huddled up in the corner together. Is this normal behavior or should I be concerned? I’m used to Pekins and Call ducks that have always been pretty calm and used to people. i understand they need an adjustment period, but is there anything I can do to help them warm up faster?

Hi, and :welcome !

I've found Muscovy to be a very friendly and easy to handle species, but if they've never been around people then you just need to take things slow with them. Sit with them and talk gently to them. If you're on their level (ground) you will be much less scary. Don't try to touch them at first, let them come to you, perhaps sprinkle a bit of tasty food nearby so they need to come closer.

As with everything, small steps are key.

Would love to see pictures of them!

I’ll give them a day or so to adjust them try that! I literally just did pick up a batch from a man that owns a whole homestead nearby.
The smallest one has a little bit of lameness in his legs it seems. But it’s been storming bad all day so he had them in a carrier until I was able to pick them up. Hoping it’s just from a lack of food and water for a few hours. 🤞 added Niacin to their water and brewers yeast to their crumble. That little one is eating and drinking when I placed him by the bowls. He just kind of stays down on his hocks. Never really seen this too much.

Attachments

• 2482FAB8-C230-4D7B-B2B2-24B42F9C8547.jpeg
    2482FAB8-C230-4D7B-B2B2-24B42F9C8547.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8
I’ll give them a day or so to adjust them try that! I literally just did pick up a batch from a man that owns a whole homestead nearby.
The smallest one has a little bit of lameness in his legs it seems. But it’s been storming bad all day so he had them in a carrier until I was able to pick them up. Hoping it’s just from a lack of food and water for a few hours. 🤞 added Niacin to their water and brewers yeast to their crumble. That little one is eating and drinking when I placed him by the bowls. He just kind of stays down on his hocks. Never really seen this too much.
I should add - they also have pine bedding in there not that they’re all set up. And a 2 week old Pekin in with them. (It was a take in from a farm group online.)

Ducks can definitely be that way if not heavily interacted with from the start, most of my muscovy were duck raised so were not tame, eventually they will get used to you being around and learn you are the food, water person...

'Scovies love food. As they get older you can offer some treats and that will help start a more trusting relationship. The few i have left, see me and come for food, but aren't what i'd call tame, as they were all raised by their parents.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom