is this Bumblefoot?

ChickenEllis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
sorry as i know this question gets asked many times a day here. this is the first time i have experienced this.
the hen is having no problems walking and doesn't seem to be in any pain. the scab is only slightly discolored.
should i wait to see if it gets worse or do i need to do something right away?

41603_p8210364.jpg

the photo makes the swelling look a bit more dramatic than it actually is.

thanks for all your help!

It looks to me like there might be bumblefoot in two places, her pad, AND her toe. There are several excellent threads on this subject. I'd recommend you check them out. Lots of helpful info
smile.png

Jen

The pad of the foot looks normal and yes on the toe is bumblefoot that you caught before it got real bad with the blackness and such:-(

thanks for all the help.
her pad is just a little dirty.

i am going to try some epsom salts and probably tricide neo as well.

You will probably ned to open it up and see if it will drain. If its past that stage you will need to dig it out. It will have a core. Pack it with antibotic cream , coton pad and bandage it daily. I used the self sticking to itself type of bandage. I bought the 2 inch and cut it in to about 3 strips 10 inchs long. I wraped mine to go around each toe and back up to her leg and it worked well. Good luck.

i did an extensive check of my nine chicken's feet and found 2 more with milder cases of Bumblefoot.

i'm going to start them all on a daily epsom salt soak. hopefully my tri-neo will arrive soon.

Back
Top Bottom