Is this cross/scissor beak??

ddboersma

Songster
May 2, 2022
Hello!

I just noticed my 16 week old hen has a shorter upper beak. At first I thought she might possibly be injured because I have NEVER noticed this before, but it doesn’t appear so? I sent pics to the hatchery and asked if I need to be concerned about anything and they told me it’s cross or scissor beak. I thought that meant the beak was misaligned, which is not happening here? Can anyone confirm if that’s what this is? Should I just monitor for now? She’s a good sized bird so I assume she’s eating and drinking fine (red laced blue Wyandotte). Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3575.jpeg
    IMG_3575.jpeg
    679.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3572.jpeg
    IMG_3572.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    610 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3565.jpeg
    IMG_3565.jpeg
    704.7 KB · Views: 26
She has had her beak trimmed as a chick, which unfortunately is a practice done by some breeders to help prevent feather picking.
I got her from Meyer Hatchery and they don’t do that. I do think it’s odd I haven’t noticed anything before now which makes me wonder if it was an injury and it somehow broke off? But I just can’t be sure.

Did you get her as a started pullet or as a day old chick? They do this with started pullets most commonly. They do not trim beaks of day old chicks. If she has only recently looked this way, it most likely is from a beak injury.

Did you get her as a started pullet or as a day old chick? They do this with started pullets most commonly. They do not trim beaks of day old chicks. If she has only recently looked this way, it most likely is from a beak injury.
I got her as a day old chick, and I have been keeping a close eye on all of them and never noticed anything out of the ordinary. So crazy, do you think it would have bled and I didn’t notice? Thank you for your input!

Definitely not scissor beak though, right?

Hello!

I just noticed my 16 week old hen has a shorter upper beak. At first I thought she might possibly be injured because I have NEVER noticed this before, but it doesn’t appear so? I sent pics to the hatchery and asked if I need to be concerned about anything and they told me it’s cross or scissor beak. I thought that meant the beak was misaligned, which is not happening here? Can anyone confirm if that’s what this is? Should I just monitor for now? She’s a good sized bird so I assume she’s eating and drinking fine (red laced blue Wyandotte). Thanks in advance!
This was our scissor beak...under the heat light. She could not close her beak, food would fall out and if she got any it was some we put in water. It was difficult to see and try to fix. She also had one eye that would not open at all. The hatchery refunded our money. She tried to eat but the effort yielded no results. She died the start of week 2 same size as when we got her.
Scissor Beak.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom