Is this egg laying behavior normal? (Leghorn)

Just to follow up six + months later…. My Leghorns still screetch like dinosaurs (preach a sermon), especially before laying an egg!

My chickens sometimes sing the egg song before laying an egg or if another chicken just laid an egg, not always after. Sometimes after they lay the egg, they sneak out without a sound. And, I noticed my rooster also sings the egg song sometimes as well, especially when he senses danger or hears a loud noise.

So, you all were right, it’s all normal for my flock. :love
Glad to hear all is going well.

Heres some backstory to the egg song:
Firstly, there is a danger alarm and a egg song, a danger alarm sounds almost identical and is used for predators, and, fun fact, the left eye is far sighted and the right is near sighted. (Something called mono vision) if you see him looking to the sky doing a danger alarm with his left eye, it’s probably a hawk! or possibly some other flying bird that causes alarm.

I believe it sounds so similar due to the fact such a specific noise is alarming to predators, so the predator hearing it will have to figure out whether they risk it for the egg or if its a predator, however, i’m not 100% on this!

Also, they typically wait a while before doing the egg song/walk away first to insure they aren’t drawing a predator to the nest, and sometimes the others will join along. Sometimes they just don’t do it or it takes quite a while, it depends.

I found all this interesting so i thought i would share!

Back
Top Bottom