Is this khaki hen a hybrid? :(

Megs501

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2012
Flint Hills KS
My Coop
My Coop
We bought 6-7 campbells 2yrs ago form a local farming family. They were about 6mo at the time

We culled one drake and have 2 drakes w lots of females.
This female made a nest and started laying in the chicken coop. I thought she was a dark Campbell. Someone is telling me she looks like a muscovy hybrid that won't be fertile. Does she look hybrid to you?

A Muscovy did sit on and hatch the eggs that are now our ducks. But I know very little about ducks. Is she a cross? I know nothing about candeling, etc. but I guess I could do it? She has been sitting about 6 days I think. Laid about 20 eggs in there ...

Last edited:
We bought 6-7 campbells 2yrs ago form a local farming family. They were about 6mo at the time

We culled one drake and have 2 drakes w lots of females.
This female made a nest and started laying in the chicken coop. I thought she was a dark Campbell. Someone is telling me she looks like a muscovy hybrid that won't be fertile. Does she look hybrid to you?

A Muscovy did sit on and hatch the eggs that are now our ducks. But I know very little about ducks. Is she a cross? I know nothing about candeling, etc. but I guess I could do it? She has been sitting about 6 days I think. Laid about 20 eggs in there ...

i dont know if this duck is a mixed breed, i would say she looks Khaki

Keep in mind though that a muscovy and mallard derived duck can have ducklings but those ducklings will be 'mules' and will be sterile

so if this duck is sitting on eggs they may or may not be fertilized. How long has she been setting?

I have no basis except for that picture, but I do not see Muscovy in that duck. I would guess if anything that it looked to be a cross maybe between a cayuga and a khaki maybe (the bill is black instead of light brown for khaki female)? Does she have a slight greenish tint to her darker patches? Just a thought.....

Last edited:
I have no basis except for that picture, but I do not see Muscovy in that duck. I would guess if anything that it looked to be a cross maybe between a cayuga and a khaki maybe (the bill is black instead of light brown for khaki female)? Does she have a slight greenish tint to her darker patches? Just a thought.....

Yes, she does have irredescent green on her wings! Just on the edges. Underneath she is a lighter brown. She is a very pretty, sweet girl. Her name is Mammy. :)

Thanks y'all. I guess my next step is to candle?

I believe this is day 6 of her sitting on the nest. There are a few chicken eggs in there, because I have stubborn, stupid chickens. Hahaha

How do I take the eggs to candle, without upsetting her or scaring her off the nest? Part of me just wants to leave them and see if we have ducklings in the next 30 days. =/

I've never candled before, but I've never had anything broody before either. :)

I believe this is day 6 of her sitting on the nest. There are a few chicken eggs in there, because I have stubborn, stupid chickens. Hahaha

How do I take the eggs to candle, without upsetting her or scaring her off the nest? Part of me just wants to leave them and see if we have ducklings in the next 30 days. =/

I've never candled before, but I've never had anything broody before either.
smile.png
depends on if she will let you check them, otherwise try to keep an eye out for her to get off the nest, candle (look for spider web like veins) and put them back, also take a sharpie and draw a circle around them so you can see if new ones are added, try to leave ones that are at the same development stage
pull chicken eggs they hatch sooner than duck eggs

sounds like you need an incubator too
lol, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom