is this molting, a disease or ???

targaryen9

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2015
Hello everyone,
My white faced black spanish has been losing her feathers around her neck and lately around her crop and they havent been growing back even though it looks like new ones are just starting to grow. it's been more than a month and it looks like the featherless area is growing. she has more than an acre to roam free so i doubt she plucks them out by herself. I have no idea if that's what molting is about or if she is missing some protein. other than that she is herself. A happy super energetic hen. anyone enlighten me if i should start worrying!!

Last edited:
She looks like she's molting. Maybe you could give her chicken food with added protein. I give my chickens that when they molt to help the feathers grow back. Or maybe if she's not molting she might be bullied. Do other chickens peck at her?

Last edited:
She looks like she's molting. Maybe you could give her chicken food with added protein. I give my chickens that when they molt to help the feathers grow back. Or maybe if she's not molting she might be bullied. Do other chickens peck at her?
X2 Could be molting or possibly other hens picking at her. Adding extra protein may be helpful. You can feed a higher protein feed like all flock/flock raiser/feather fixer or offer some egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

On a side note ---WOW!! What a comb on her, that is very interesting
smile.png

No she is like the queen there. she is the oldest and my first chicken so she rules the place. no one is picking on her and hopefully she is nice to others also.

X2 Could be molting or possibly other hens picking at her. Adding extra protein may be helpful. You can feed a higher protein feed like all flock/flock raiser/feather fixer or offer some egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

On a side note ---WOW!! What a comb on her, that is very interesting
No, the others arent picking on her. she rules the place. she is the oldest of all and feels like the queen. I know her comb is enormous, but it kind of flatters her. looks good on the preety head of hers.

I agree. Her comb and wattles are so pretty!

I'd say molting most likely. If this isn't the case than possibly mites or lice. They can cause feather loss. To rule that out check around her tail under her feathers for little bugs that scurry away when you look, or lice eggs on the feather staff.

Back
Top Bottom