Is this normal egg laying? Please respond

Amylia

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
I have2 red stars/sexlinks hens. One Annie lays xl brown eggs regularly. The other one, Lucy is the meanest chicken that I've ever seen, but the best brown egg layer. Twice this weeks she's laid extra jumbo sized eggs. I've only used one of the eggs thus far it was a double yolk. But, is it normal for her to lay such large eggs? Is there anything wrong? I'm wondering if her meanest and extra jumbo sized eggs are some sort of sign.... Just wondering your thoughts. Here are pictures of one of Lucy's extra jumbo sized eggs next to Annie's XL eggs...

How old are they? I had a hen that would do that her first year, but she eventually laid single yolk large eggs and her temper mellowed to the point of she was my sweetest hen

12 and a half months old.....one year....
Thank you for responding. Did your hen lay eggs that large this often?

Yes. From what happens with mine I would suggest you wait it out an see if it stops like mine. It could very well be her body still trying to adjust to laying since she's still young. Though if it still continues until she's two years old I'd suggest talking to a vet. Most rural veterinarians will treat chickens as well as other livestock animals

These hens have never been docile. They both attack other chickens and me. They have always been aggressive. But they are such good layers that I've been willing to put up with them. They have been separated from others for a month. If I try to reintroduce the two leghorn hens, within minutes the leghorns are bloody from being constantly attacked by the red sex links. It's so sad. I tried reintoducing them two days ago, the white leghorns are still recovering....

Yes. From what happens with mine I would suggest you wait it out an see if it stops like mine. It could very well be her body still trying to adjust to laying since she's still young. Though if it still continues until she's two years old I'd suggest talking to a vet. Most rural veterinarians will treat chickens as well as other livestock animals

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom