Is this normal?

Tnballgirl

Chirping
May 10, 2022
I just hatched out 8 mallard ducklings. This one has a funny little yellow tuft of feathers on its head.

When hatching the next to last one was bottom up and its head was stuck inside the shell to what appeared to be left over yolk. Could that be why the funny feathers developed or totally unrelated?

Attachments

• 20220510_073931.jpg
    20220510_073931.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 31
The crest is a genetic mutation and is a deformity of the skull. Most crested ducks aren't "all there". They are more prone to being picked off first by predators or just being less smart then the rest of their flock mates.

I just hatched out 8 mallard ducklings. This one has a funny little yellow tuft of feathers on its head.

When hatching the next to last one was bottom up and its head was stuck inside the shell to what appeared to be left over yolk. Could that be why the funny feathers developed or totally unrelated?
looks like he's crested. It is a deformity, a little hole in the skull causing a little puff of feathers. But don't despair, he can still live a normal life. Some people actually breed them for the crest specifically because they find it "cute". I personally think it's inhumane to do so- but sometimes they naturally hatch with it.

As long as he's alright in himself, active and keeping up with his siblings, I should think he'll be fine. Just keep an eye on him and keep him safe!
You'll find he just has a little crazy tuft on his head as he grows.

The tuft of feathers is unrelated to the hatching. Its called a crest and is a genetic mutation -- probably spontaneous in your little fluffy. Generally there is a defect in the midline of the skull where the two sides meet and fuse developmentally. The size of the tuft indicates yours likely has a small defect [or perhaps no defect]. there is generally a lipoma, a small fatty lump, over any defect in the skull. There can be other midline defects -- for example in the spine --associated.

While there is an increased risk of neurological defects, particularly in those with the largest crests and hence largest defects, most crested ducks lead normal happy lives. A female's crest needs to be protected from aggressive mating as the drake may pull on the tuft of feathers rather than the feathers on the back of her neck.

My son's female crested is a little smaller than his female pekins. She also has a spontaneous genetic mutation and an associated "kink" in her neck spine which is only visible when her neck is outstretched downwards [standing on the side of her kiddie pool drinking, for example.] She is the cutest, liveliest, loudest and most intelligent of all my son's ducks. The photos are of her -- Mop Head as she is affectionately known.

Some people intentionally breed crested ducks, as they look cute. The problem is that there is a high problem of ducklings with genetic defect that is incompatible with life when a crested drake and a crested female are mated. Twentyfive percent of the fertilized eggs will have embryos develop that are not compatible with life, and die in the shell. Many people find it unacceptable to intentionally breed ducks with such a high mortality.

I have a crested pekin drake -- he is in an all male flock and so will not pass on his defect. My son's crested pekin female is in an all female flock in a different neighborhood from mine. There is zero chance that they will breed!

Attachments

• 20220220_153940.jpg
    20220220_153940.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220106_100328.jpg
    20220106_100328.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211006_110838.jpg
    20211006_110838.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The tuft of feathers is unrelated to the hatching. Its called a crest and is a genetic mutation -- probably spontaneous in your little fluffy. Generally there is a defect in the midline of the skull where the two sides meet and fuse developmentally. The size of the tuft indicates yours likely has a small defect [or perhaps no defect]. there is generally a lipoma, a small fatty lump, over any defect in the skull. There can be other midline defects -- for example in the spine --associated.

While there is an increased risk of neurological defects, particularly in those with the largest crests and hence largest defects, most crested ducks lead normal happy lives. A female's crest needs to be protected from aggressive mating as the drake may pull on the tuft of feathers rather than the feathers on the back of her neck.

My son's female crested is a little smaller than his female pekins. She also has a spontaneous genetic mutation and an associated "kink" in her neck spine which is only visible when her neck is outstretched downwards [standing on the side of her kiddie pool drinking, for example.] She is the cutest, liveliest, loudest and most intelligent of all my son's ducks. The photos are of her -- Mop Head as she is affectionately known.

Some people intentionally breed crested ducks, as they look cute. The problem is that there is a high problem of ducklings with genetic defect that is incompatible with life when a crested drake and a crested female are mated. Twentyfive percent of the fertilized eggs will have embryos develop that are not compatible with life, and die in the shell. Many people find it unacceptable to intentionally breed ducks with such a high mortality.

I have a crested pekin drake -- he is in an all male flock and so will not pass on his defect. My son's crested pekin female is in an all female flock in a different neighborhood from mine. There is zero chance that they will breed!
Good to know. We bought two mallards at RK last year for our pond. They have been busy....the first eggs she started laying were being eaten each night. We didn't realize until we found the shells. The next nest, she laid in some bushes at the far end of the pond. I only realized it when she didn't come to eat. The third day I went to check on her there were 5 shells, so I picked up the eggs and momma and moved to up close to the house in a cage. She was not having it. So I incubated them. In the meantime, that heifer has laid a nest of 15 MORE! 🤦‍♀️

So ,also what are thoughts about color banding? I wanted to...but am now thinking with the turtles and bass....it may not be a good idea....

So ,also what are thoughts about color banding? I wanted to...but am now thinking with the turtles and bass....it may not be a good idea....
All the go with your mallards!! She is determined to raise some ducklings!!

I am thinking that I may have to color band my pekin drakes. My first two are easily identified as one is crested and one not. I have just taken in two more pekin drakes that were abandoned and in danger. They are in quarantine at the moment and have very different personalities to my original drakes, but I am thinking that as they mellow and accept their new surroundings, knowing who is who might become difficult!

I am not sure why the turtles and bass would influence your decision

All the go with your mallards!! She is determined to raise some ducklings!!

I am thinking that I may have to color band my pekin drakes. My first two are easily identified as one is crested and one not. I have just taken in two more pekin drakes that were abandoned and in danger. They are in quarantine at the moment and have very different personalities to my original drakes, but I am thinking that as they mellow and accept their new surroundings, knowing who is who might become difficult!

I am not sure why the turtles and bass would influence your decision
I was thinking the colors would attract attention of turtles and big fish like a lure and it might get them bitten...especially by the turtles....ive been accidentally bitten by one of the big ones (not even a snapper) and it HURT and drew blood.

Back
Top Bottom