Is this ordinance unfair? I need advice!

I think it would be reasonable to see what the procedure would be for discussing a rule change. Just something to allow a few more birds per area. Not ridiculous amounts, but if you had, say, 3 ducks and half a dozen quail in addition to your chickens, that's still really not that much biomass.
Also, if you just want quail and not eggs, button quail are good indoor birds.

What I think is a more reasonable ordinance is to take into account the fact that different animals are different sizes and have differing impact on a lot.

My zoning code has restrictions based on animal units per acre. So that can be 1 large animal like a horse or cow, or 5 smaller animals like goats, per 1 acre. Poultry and rabbits aren't included, those are pretty a much free for all if you have over 1/2 acre.

My guess is the potbelly pig exclusion came at a time when pigs became a trendy pet so someone managed to petition for that change. There's some cities around here that have exclusion for dwarf goats, for example, which are counted as pets and not livestock.

What I think is a more reasonable ordinance is to take into account the fact that different animals are different sizes and have differing impact on a lot.

My zoning code has restrictions based on animal units per acre. So that can be 1 large animal like a horse or cow, or 5 smaller animals like goats, per 1 acre. Poultry and rabbits aren't included, those are pretty a much free for all if you have over 1/2 acre.

My guess is the potbelly pig exclusion came at a time when pigs became a trendy pet so someone managed to petition for that change. There's some cities around here that have exclusion for dwarf goats, for example, which are counted as pets and not livestock.
Your zoning code seems awesome! Do people seem to go crazy with the slack?

Back
Top Bottom