Is this ordinance unfair? I need advice!

I can also whatever livestock I want, as long as I account for the animal units. Oddly, I am also restricted in how many dogs I can have without registering as a kennel AND having kennel facilities for the dogs.

I have the same restriction. Something like 15 goats are ok, but 4 cats or 4 dogs? Absolutely not!

You need to read the ordinance again, and go look at the beginning where they do the definitions.
Frequently, the livestock is referred to in an animal unit, which considers the grazing required to feed one cow. Sheep and goats are, I think, 1/2 an animal unit.
Many people don’t realize how restrictive ordinances have become. However, there is also often an out in the state law, which is written to protect agriculture. The caveat is that you have to actually being making money from agricultural pursuits on the property before you can get exempted to be agricultural, lol! Nice catch 22.
Basically, the laws typically say that anyone can pursue agriculture regardless of lot size and regardless of County or City ordinances. The hold out there is HOA’s, which cannot be ignored.
When I moved to VA from FL, I made sure I read the ordinances for the county and found the zoning of the property. I can finally have roosters! I can also whatever livestock I want, as long as I account for the animal units. Oddly, I am also restricted in how many dogs I can have without registering as a kennel AND having kennel facilities for the dogs. I do like that in the city nearby, the people can have as many chickens as they want. I think that’s awesome!
Anyway, I hope this helps...
This is there definition of livestock:
Livestock means and includes horses, cows, goats, pigs, or any other hoofed animal used for pleasure or profit. Fowl and rabbits are expressly included within this definition. What does it mean?

I have read only page one.
quail have to be confined in cages. you will have no luck free ranging them. keeping that in mind, you could easily have quail and nobody would even know it.
rabbits are sort of in the same situation.
compost the waste products and that would take care of the contamination issue.

I have read only page one.
quail have to be confined in cages. you will have no luck free ranging them. keeping that in mind, you could easily have quail and nobody would even know it.
rabbits are sort of in the same situation.
compost the waste products and that would take care of the contamination issue.
Thank you!

The only thing to do is to change the ordinance! I worked for nearly two years to get ours changed. You need to gather support from your local residents then do research - LOTS of research - showing facts and presenting them in a straight forward manner and KEEPING CALM. I don't know if there is a way to communicate directly with you - phone call would be great - without putting our private info on here....anyone have suggestions? I really would like to tell you what it took for us to change our city's ordinance but it's a long story!! Let me know if I can help and if we can somehow get in contact so we could talk. I still have some great statistics I would gladly share, though it's from about 2008. You can do this!!:yesss:

The only thing to do is to change the ordinance! I worked for nearly two years to get ours changed. You need to gather support from your local residents then do research - LOTS of research - showing facts and presenting them in a straight forward manner and KEEPING CALM. I don't know if there is a way to communicate directly with you - phone call would be great - without putting our private info on here....anyone have suggestions? I really would like to tell you what it took for us to change our city's ordinance but it's a long story!! Let me know if I can help and if we can somehow get in contact so we could talk. I still have some great statistics I would gladly share, though it's from about 2008. You can do this!!:yesss:
We can have a private conversation here on BYC. I would love to learn more!

I am an appraiser and used to work in several different towns and rural areas and it is amazing how different the zoning rules can be from one town to the next. Some rules make very little sense but they are the rules nonetheless.
I find the county/city offices and zoning people can be very helpful if you go in and ask questions as long as you go in with a nice attitude. Respect their expertise and get on their good side. First thing is to get a copy of ordinance in writing if you don't already have one and read every word carefully. Look for any contradictions (you'd be surprised at how often that happens). Next thing is to find out what official procedure is to request a variance or attempt to change an ordinance. You may have to get so many signatures to have something considered or it may be way more complicated. These people know how the system works and if there are any ways around it, they know them too. Ask for help. Don't antagonize them. It wont make them give in most of the time and it wont get you the cooperation you need.

The only other thing I can think of is to check if local ordinances run contrary to any state level rules such as right-to farm laws.

Back
Top Bottom