Is this pasty butt?

mbishop

Chirping
Mar 27, 2021
Our hen has this thing hanging out of her butt. we don’t know whether we should be worried or not. Should this concern us?

Attachments

• 699518B8-964A-4945-A488-4B70C19DB835.jpeg
    699518B8-964A-4945-A488-4B70C19DB835.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 9
she’s staying in the laying box, but she’s not puffing out her feathers, which we have seen in the other hens when they are laying.

It looks like it may be a malformed egg. Those can be difficult for them to pass. How is she acting? Eating, drinking, pooping normally? I would give her a calcium citrate +D tablet, once a day for a couple of days, it will help contractions and hopefully help her pass it. Once she does pass it, take a picture. Infection is also a possibility so seeing what it is will help with that.

It looks like it may be a malformed egg. Those can be difficult for them to pass. How is she acting? Eating, drinking, pooping normally? I would give her a calcium citrate +D tablet, once a day for a couple of days, it will help contractions and hopefully help her pass it. Once she does pass it, take a picture. Infection is also a possibility so seeing what it is will help with that.
Thank you, i will give her the tablet. she left the nesting area. no egg. most of them have not been laying much the past few days.

Might also help to keep it moist. Some vegetable oil, honey, neosporin ointment, vaseline. Just slather it on to keep it moist, and help lube the passage. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom