Is this spraddle leg?

Kaolru

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I've had guinea eggs thinking, contemplating, and considering the idea of hatching since Friday. Two of them started Friday evening and only now have actually hatched. Some of the others are on the fast track. Anyway, this one seems to be having signs of spraddle leg. I'm not sure why it happened though because I have literally just thirty minutes ago taken them out of the incubator, which does not have a slippery surface. I'm using textured paper towels for the brooder, is this alright?

Should I try to correct this? It's able to move around, just not as well as the other one.

Attachments

• 20180618_090559.jpg
    20180618_090559.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180618_090525.jpg
    20180618_090525.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 18
Yes, it looks like splayed legs to me. Make a hobble for it, you can use a small hair elastic or vet wrap to make one and the legs should correct in a day or so. Good luck.

I don't know if it matters and I will surely jinx myself, but, I used to get spraddle legged chicks until I started using sand in the brooder box. I think they get better purchase for their feet. Try to get them onto a non slip surface asap. (I could not tell you anything about successfully treating it because I have never had any luck.).

I don't know if it matters and I will surely jinx myself, but, I used to get spraddle legged chicks until I started using sand in the brooder box. I think they get better purchase for their feet. Try to get them onto a non slip surface asap. (I could not tell you anything about successfully treating it because I have never had any luck.).

I think this may have happened due to the prolonged hatching process. From what I've read, that can contribute to it. The incubator has a nonslip surface, and this baby was having issues straight from the incubator. It doesn't seem to be having as much difficulty right now, but I'm still going to brace it.

Could be.... I never really was sure in any of the cases I have seen. Good luck. I have never been able to have any success with the leg binding, but there are some on here who are very experienced and have reported successes.

I think this may have happened due to the prolonged hatching process. From what I've read, that can contribute to it. The incubator has a nonslip surface, and this baby was having issues straight from the incubator. It doesn't seem to be having as much difficulty right now, but I'm still going to brace it.
It absolutely can be corrected but you have to do it quickly to catch them as malleable as possible. Little chicks are so bendy and accepting of being adjusted. I just came off a hatch with a chick whose legs would not stay under her and I hobbled her and within a few days she was normal as can be.

It absolutely can be corrected but you have to do it quickly to catch them as malleable as possible. Little chicks are so bendy and accepting of being adjusted. I just came off a hatch with a chick whose legs would not stay under her and I hobbled her and within a few days she was normal as can be.

The keet I posted above is much better today. Running around normally now, but I have a keet that needed help to hatch, and I fear I waited too long to help. It has very curled toes and one leg wants to stick out straight behind it and the poor thing can't get off it's side. I'm trying to figure out how to hobble this chick as well as fix the curled toes, but I'm not sure it can be done.

Does the leg that is pushed out backwards work normally when you bend and flex it or is it very stiff at the hock/knee joint or in the hip? The curled toes can be fixed, again very easily, but the leg has to be able to work normally to fix.

Does the leg that is pushed out backwards work normally when you bend and flex it or is it very stiff at the hock/knee joint or in the hip? The curled toes can be fixed, again very easily, but the leg has to be able to work normally to fix.

The leg will bend, but the toes don't, at least not enough. I can spread the toes, but when I try to straighten them out they will only straighten so far. It leaves them still very claw-like. Two of the other keets also have crooked toes, but those are more easily managed.

These guys are just so stinking tiny compared to the ducks I'm used to that everything is more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom