Is this what they mean by a "favorite nest box"? :)

I have the same problem with my gals, they all seem to want certain boxes. When a gal gets in her mind she wants something specific, you know it can be hard to change her mind! When they start loading up, I put fake eggs in other boxes and that helps them spread out some. I sometimes get 8 eggs in one box. I don't want that because there is more of a chance of breakage. So I put a few fake eggs in some other boxes and it usually works to get the gals to broaden their perspective.

I have 11 laying and 6 boxes, I always find about 5 or 6 eggs in one box and it never dawned on me until now that this might be going on. I have found one of two eggs off to the side of the box and wondered how it got way over there. I think I will take a peak at laying time and see for myself. Thanks for the entertaining post!

I have 11 laying and 6 boxes, I always find about 5 or 6 eggs in one box and it never dawned on me until now that this might be going on. I have found one of two eggs off to the side of the box and wondered how it got way over there. I think I will take a peak at laying time and see for myself. Thanks for the entertaining post!
I put a wildlife camera in my coop and it was funny to see how many times they go in and out of boxes, two or three in one box. Lots of activity around those boxes! Sometimes they just stand there and wait their turn, as soon as one hen leaves the next ZOOM, another hen is in there. The camera was very good entertainment!

Glad to know the 2 hens on the lot are normal.
The Black Australorp has the box, and self appointed Hen 1 wanted it, causing me to search for Hens nest box fight... I wasn't sure I didn't need to put Hen 1 in Hen jail. (she is a big Australorp / red cross and quite the bully...)

My nest boxes in this "overflow coop" are too small for double occupancy. Might be time to enlarge them. Have 2 adult birds to add once the garden is in, my pullets are due to lay soon

Last edited:
My hens like to use the same boxes,but I've noticed that they move around and fight for different boxes and places.One time I find most of my eggs in a few boxes and the next day I find the eggs in different boxes.I placed an add on to my coop for my new peeps when I get them and I have even found them in there.I guess as long as they are giving up the eggs
clap.gif
they can lay where they want.Kinda like (when you gotta go-you gotta go). Sometimes you can hold it and other times you can't
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom