Is Tree tea oil safe to soak your birds feet in?

Put out one for flush and the other with poultry Nutri drench .

Is she eating?
if you place her in a tub of warm water will she move her legs and swim around?

Hi, Thank you. The info in the first paragraph I know already, (but my ducks can only handle 6 minutes tops soaking their feet., no sleeping here)
The bottom paragraph, the part concerning the daily "bath" to maintain her water proof, I'm not catching what you mean???
If you have her indoors and she's not getting wet regularly - birds can actually lose their waterproofing. When I was working at our local bird rescue, waterproofing was always a concern with waterfowl and shorebirds. I suppose it promotes preening? Not sure the exact mechanism, but they all got a daily bath to ensure their feathers maintained their condition.

Put out one for flush and the other with poultry Nutri drench .

Is she eating?
if you place her in a tub of warm water will she move her legs and swim around?
Hi,

She's eating now. She likes cooked corn and oats (with fresh herbs in her water.) She won't eat her favorite - meal worms for some reason? She wont use her left foot at all, she'll only move her right leg. So she sits down with her left foot out. It looks like she has a sprain, (but when that could of occurred I don't know?)

I don't think it takes much for them to sprain their legs my Runners can do it running up and down the hill in their fenced area. I'd let her be in a warm bath at least 1X a day so she can move this leg and keep the muscles from getting weaker. And it takes the pressure off too. Maybe try slipping in some of her feed with the cooked corn since corn is starch and doesn't give much nutrients. Maybe sprinkle some mealworms on top too for protein. When she is in the water she won't use her left leg?Can you feel all along both legs to tell if there is any difference in either of them from the other, looking for swelling from hip joint all the way down. Also heat or redness

Last edited:
Definitely go epsom if there's an open wound involved. Fill a bowl with warm water and dilute the epsom salt, wrap your duck in a towel and place them over the bowl with the target foot inside and sit with them. - they'll likely fall asleep as all poultry seem to unanimously enjoy an epsom soak. It works to soften kernels, gently cleanse, relax the muscles and eases pain! A win win all around.

For wrapping, non-stick gauze, betadine without pain relief, and vet wrap are your friends. The bandaging should be kept dry till it's closed, but don't forget she'll need a daily 'bath' to maintain her water proof. - let her have a deep tub swim between bandage changes and the soak for about 15-30 mins a day and she should be able to sort herself out.
Thank you!

I don't think it takes much for them to sprain their legs my Runners can do it running up and down the hill in their fenced area. I'd let her be in a warm bath at least 1X a day so she can move this leg and keep the muscles from getting weaker. And it takes the pressure off too. Maybe try slipping in some of her feed with the cooked corn since corn is starch and doesn't give much nutrients. Maybe sprinkle some mealworms on top too for protein. When she is in the water she won't use her left leg?Can you feel all along both legs to tell if there is any difference in either of them from the other, looking for swelling from hip joint all the way down. Also heat or redness
There is a visual difference, (though if you take a picture it looks the same?)
It is swollen on the left foot.

Do x-rays show sprains? She had the x-ray before the foot
surgery and we didn't see a sprain. I believe when she had the surgery the incident may have happened then, because she never was able to walk since?

Yes, Meal worms are always added to her food but she's not eating them......

Can you post a photo of the bumble foot? Its the left foot that she got surgery on correct? I'd say she's probably just really sore from the surgery. Infection hurts, I can image having to get it dug out with a knife.
I think you need to try to get her to soak longer. Are you covering her head when soaking? If not, cover her head and wings with a towel. Simply wrap the towel around her head, neck, and then wings. This will help keep her clam. Hold her in the epsom slat soak and see if you can get her to soak for longer. This will help with drawing, pain and inflammation.
Trying giving her half a baby aspirin as well. Grab her and pinch the edges of her beak until she opens. She'll fight you, but eventually stop. Then, pop the Aspirin into her beak and it will go down like candy.
I also agree with a swim. Fill your bathtub full of warm water, and place her in there. Will she move her leg to swim?

Hi,

My ducks bumble foot healed a week ago after the surgery. It's perfect!! So that has been cured.
The reason she isn't walking is because she has a swollen, sprained leg. She is taking a inflammatory - Meloxidyl. She standing and swims daily in her own inside pool for exercise. "Epson salts" are go to for everything ( everyone speaks of using them as an old husbands tail cure ) but plain warm water works just the same I find and doesn't mess up her feathers.
After a week the New Vet will re-advise on what to do next : ) I told the old vet to stop prescribing tea tree oil soaks!!

Back
Top Bottom