I’m going to assume you know what a lash egg is right? Sometimes my hens will lay for better lack of terminology heavy bottom eggs where one end only is rough and more calcium is deposited thicker I guess would be right. It seems to be part of her cycle. She’ll lay one or two in a row right before she takes a day off.
They get a bit smaller too. I’ve learned not to worry because it’s just how this particular hen is.
I'm pretty sure that what you describe in the rest of your post are not lash eggs?

@Big Red Roosters Welcome to BYC!
Eh...a bit of funky shell, nothing to worry about...some birds will lay the wrinkles all the time.
She should be ramping down production about now to molt, you can get some funky eggs around molting time. Not all birds molt at the same time or in the same way.

That assumes you are in the northern hemisphere...so...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-11-10_8-3-10.png

@Big Red Roosters Welcome to BYC!
Eh...a bit of funky shell, nothing to worry about...some birds will lay the wrinkles all the time.
She should be ramping down production about now to molt, you can get some funky eggs around molting time. Not all birds molt at the same time or in the same way.

That assumes you are in the northern hemisphere...so...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
View attachment 1586072
Thank you! I didn't get to check on her this morning before work, but your post let me have a sigh of relief. I still have a couple hens that haven't molted yet that I hadn't realized, I think I just jumped to conclusions as soon as something was different with her.

I'm in the United States. The midwest part. I guess I should probably do one of those introduction posts. It seemed a bit silly at first, but it looks like everyone does it. Thanks again.

She is not showing any symptoms of egg production problems so I wouldn't be concerned about her health right now. My Red Sex Link is the same age and lacking in egg production because of temprature drops down to 20-30 degrees. Chickens that have problems with egg production such as prolapsed oviduct, lash egg, enlarged egg unable to pass through oviduct, soft shelled eggs (usually due to a calcium deficiency) show symptoms of sickness or pain. External symptoms include:

1. Returning back and forth from nesting box,
2. Reduced feed consumption, (not interested in food.)
3. Comb slightly blue.
4.Sleeping or resting (non-stop) Etc..
Chickens who usually have soft shelled eggs will sometimes pass it in the middle of the coop or on the ground... If they are lucky to get through it.

She is not showing any symptoms of egg production problems so I wouldn't be concerned about her health right now. My Red Sex Link is the same age and lacking in egg production because of temprature drops down to 20-30 degrees. Chickens that have problems with egg production such as prolapsed oviduct, lash egg, enlarged egg unable to pass through oviduct, soft shelled eggs (usually due to a calcium deficiency) show symptoms of sickness or pain. External symptoms include:

1. Returning back and forth from nesting box,
2. Reduced feed consumption, (not interested in food.)
3. Comb slightly blue.
4.Sleeping or resting (non-stop) Etc..
Chickens who usually have soft shelled eggs will sometimes pass it in the middle of the coop or on the ground... If they are lucky to get through it.
Thank you! That's good information, I appreciate it. She is such a sweetheart it would shatter a lot of hearts if something were to happen to her. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom