ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

TheChips- have you checked their vent area for mites? I recently found that my flock has an infestation :/ it may show itself as a dirty butt, but upon closer inspection, you may see some little squirmy/crawly things. Two of my hens started acting the same as yours and stopped laying, so I checked the flock and have since cleaned the coop, and started treating them with Diatomatious Earth and other home remedies, hopefully they will go away soon! Good luck with your girl!

Hi! I have been lurking on this page but never posted here before. I have quick question/concern- I have sone ISA Brown chicks from the feedstore. They buy from Townline. They are about a week to a week and a half old. One of the chicks has much shorter wings than the others- like almost none. I weighed her this morning on a kitchen scale to see how she was doing- 40g. The others weight between 38 and 42g, so she seems on track there. What is going on with her??? Anyone have this experience? Do I need to put her in a smaller brooder with only a couple of other chicks? They have access to chick starter and water 24/7. I'm worried that she is failing to thrive.

Hi! I have been lurking on this page but never posted here before. I have quick question/concern- I have sone ISA Brown chicks from the feedstore. They buy from Townline. They are about a week to a week and a half old. One of the chicks has much shorter wings than the others- like almost none. I weighed her this morning on a kitchen scale to see how she was doing- 40g. The others weight between 38 and 42g, so she seems on track there. What is going on with her??? Anyone have this experience? Do I need to put her in a smaller brooder with only a couple of other chicks? They have access to chick starter and water 24/7. I'm worried that she is failing to thrive.

I made a mash out of chick starter before and every couple of hours fed the mash to the chick. I used either some pedialyte or gatorade to mix the chick crumbles with so I could also get something with electrolytes into the chick. I also gave it some of the pedialyte or gatorade to drink with a dropper. The chick did make it and I put it in with some younger chicks. It did catch up. Some may not make it but I believe if they don't it was meant to be. Just my suggestion and opinion. Many years ago I got some ISA Brown chicks from Townline Hatchery. They were my best layers. Good luck and have fun...

I was happy to fid this thread. I have 3 week old Isa Browns and they are my first chicks ever:) I grew up on a farm but moved to the city at 15 and at 56 just returned to country living. Chickens are the first addition to my small, 2 acre homestead. My coop was started for my 6 girls yesterday and I will share pictures as soon as it is finished. I'm here to learn all I can from ya'll. Greetings from Kentucky!

I was happy to fid this thread. I have 3 week old Isa Browns and they are my first chicks ever:) I grew up on a farm but moved to the city at 15 and at 56 just returned to country living. Chickens are the first addition to my small, 2 acre homestead. My coop was started for my 6 girls yesterday and I will share pictures as soon as it is finished. I'm here to learn all I can from ya'll. Greetings from Kentucky!
welcome-byc.gif
Great to have you. I'm planning on ordering some Isa Browns in a month or so. Why buy second best?

Just got 6 Isa Browns chick about two and Half weeks ago. They were a week old when we got the, They are growing extremely fast and need to know at what week can they go into a coop??? We are about a week away from coop being totally done.
We are new to chickens
Thanks

Just got 6 Isa Browns chick about two and Half weeks ago. They were a week old when we got the, They are growing extremely fast and need to know at what week can they go into a coop??? We are about a week away from coop being totally done.
We are new to chickens
Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
I put my chicks in the grow out coop when they are a few days old. I don't know where you live and what your temperatures are like. I do put a heat lamp on for them at night when it cools off. I am currently renovating my grow out coop and have chicks due to hatch in just over 2 weeks. JUst make sure the pop door is closed a let them get used to the coop. Also, all feeding is inside my coop and it also keeps the feed dry in case of rain but also to get them used to going into the coop so when you want them in when they get a bit older it's not so hard to get them into the coop at night. I leave a night light on in all of my coops. I don't have any problems with getting them all into the coops in the evenings.

Last edited:
We are new to chickens
Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
A wonderful start. Search at the top of the page for the thread Mama heating pad. Safer than the lamps. Unless you've already bought it. It uses a Sunbeam XL pad that doesn't go off after 2 hours. Exciting times, huh? Love the new babies.

I started with two ISA brown chicks and a leghorn unfortunately one of the ISA was killed by my dog but I bought two more to replace her and they are the friendliest ever. I have had one of my pullets egg-bound and recovered from it
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom