ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

Another showing the brown better!

I am a chicken newbie. I have 12 isa brown pullets that I got from TSC when they were babies. They are 10 weeks old now. I know they lay earlier then most breeds. I've heard 16 weeks old. When did all of yours start laying?

Last edited:
I am a chicken newbie. I have 12 isa brown pullets that I got from TSC when they were babies. They are 10 weeks old now. I know they lay earlier then most breeds. I've heard 16 weeks old. When did all of yours start laying?

Some may start laying at around 16 weeks but most of mine started laying at 18 to 24 weeks.

So our isas are all about 2 years old but they are mega aggressive to our buff orpington our americana and a couple of our rhode islands. Some stuff I have read said this is an aggressive breed while others say these birds are very friendly. Today I caught one of the isas on top of our buff trying to eat her comb. I am afraid to say that I think its time the three isas get culled. :-(

Friendly toward human can often mean aggressive to other animals. Think of dogs. Super friendly to human family, but will often be aggressive to their own kind. I asked a biology teacher about this and she said it's a matter of confidence. The birds think they are one of us and treat other birds like underlings, being aggressive and "mean" to them, subordinating them. My Marraduna Basque and ISAs are aggressive to the Icelandics I hatched at the same time (well, I bought the ISAs as day olds actually, but they all were very small chicks together), and they are very aggressive to the Icelandics and a BA chick as well. The Marradunas and ISAs LOVE me though, while the Icelandics are scared to death of me. The MBs and the ISAs think they are, perhaps, my equal. This is why MB roosters are often known for being aggressive. They have no fear or respect for humans; in their minds, they are one of us. IDK about ISA roos. Are they aggressive?

I had two ISA Browns (22 weeks). One just up and died. I bought a RIR and a Dominique (maybe Barred Rock) 12 weeks old. My ISA pecked their little heads off (no blood- they learned to run fast when they hear her "growl"). At dusk she worried herself silly trying to show them where to sleep. Finally after 15 minutes she went to bed. The babies slowly made it up to the coop and then back down. 20 times up and down until they got brave enough to go in (darkness approaching fast). Funny how she worried so much after a day of pecking their little heads off.
Now all is good. She has showed them where the wood ash is located. Happy Happy Happy

So our isas are all about 2 years old but they are mega aggressive to our buff orpington our americana and a couple of our rhode islands. Some stuff I have read said this is an aggressive breed while others say these birds are very friendly. Today I caught one of the isas on top of our buff trying to eat her comb. I am afraid to say that I think its time the three isas get culled. :-(

ISA are very friendly breed to humans but never to other chickens specially if they not ISA as well they are very aggressive and mean.

Back
Top Bottom