Isabel Leghorn day old chicks

Isabel x Isabel = Isabel. Done! Isabel is just the base color with the lavender gene added. Black birds with the lavender gene become lavenders while brown birds with the lavender gene become isabels.

I breed my isabels back to browns to continue to improve both type and color. Isabel x brown = all browns split to isabel. These look like brown but carry one copy of the lavender gene. A bird needs two copies of the lavender gene to express the lavender color.

Crossing spit x split will yield 25% Isabel, 50% split, and 25% brown (not split). You can't tell by looking which of the browns are split and which do not carry the lavender gene.

Crossing split x Isabel will yield 50% Isabel, 50% split. All the brown chicks from this cross still carry one copy of the lavender gene. This is how my breeding pens are currently set up.

This fall I will take the Isabel chicks I'm hatching now back to new unrelated brown leghorns, thereby creating the next generation of splits. Next spring those splits will be crossed back to isabels yet again.

How big of egg do these lay, white I'm assuming and how is their production as far as approximately how many eggs they lay? Thanks!
It’s doesn’t matter there rare breed the Isabelle leghorn took a generation it was used for a project to create the opal legbar they used so many breeds to create the isabelle leghorn to create the opal legbar and my Isabelle leghorn lays everyday and she’s 4 years old so I know it’s old but still I considered it cackle hatchery sells them so dose eBay

Because hatcheries breed for production, not to win shows. You might get nice looking birds, but nothing that will win best of show at an actual show
wait. im gonna breed them can i use the rooster and the hens to get more Isabelle leghorns. before the chicks come in march. Also they don't make poultry show qaulty? Im fine with breeding of the color breed true and good because the feather color is what im breeding. im not breeding any features. Accept for the feathers

wait. im gonna breed them can i use the rooster and the hens to get more Isabelle leghorns. before the chicks come in march. Also they don't make poultry show qaulty? Im fine with breeding of the color breed true and good because the feather color is what im breeding. im not breeding any features. Accept for the feathers
You can make more, but they probably won't be show quality either unless you cull heavily and only keep proper birds.

A hatchery doesn't care about winning shows with birds they sell. They care about them pumping out as many eggs as they can so they can fill all the orders they get.

Back
Top Bottom