ISABELLE LEGHORNS IN USA!

According to the first post in this thread---only you...right? They are gorgeous.

No, not only me. They are not common, but there are other people that have them. I think they are gorgeous too! Here is a picture from a few minutes ago of the rooster I am using for breeding and one of the hens.

Mine are directly from Backwoods Poultry here in TN. He is the first post on this thread. Thank you for your interest!

No, not only me. They are not common, but there are other people that have them. I think they are gorgeous too! Here is a picture from a few minutes ago of the rooster I am using for breeding and one of the hens.

Mine are directly from Backwoods Poultry here in TN. He is the first post on this thread. Thank you for your interest!
Thanks for explaining.....I thought maybe you were them.
hide.gif

They are rare and beautiful -- love the pictures so thanks for posting.... Same male as in your Avatar right? How to find out more about this color pattern....Google?
wink.png

Thanks for explaining.....I thought maybe you were them.
hide.gif

They are rare and beautiful -- love the pictures so thanks for posting.... Same male as in your Avatar right? How to find out more about this color pattern....Google?
wink.png

Backwoods Poultry has been very kind and generous to help me with my breeding program, but I'm not them. Yes, this is the same rooster as my avatar. I have a group of little cockerels who are coming up, unrelated to him, but he is my breeder currently. I hope to have a good little breeding group within a few months. Eggs in the incubator as we speak! I would love to help get this beautiful breed out for more people to enjoy! That was why I am trying to revive this thread. There is an Isabelle Leghorn FB page, but most of the participants are from Europe and Australia.

Backwoods Poultry has been very kind and generous to help me with my breeding program, but I'm not them. Yes, this is the same rooster as my avatar. I have a group of little cockerels who are coming up, unrelated to him, but he is my breeder currently. I hope to have a good little breeding group within a few months. Eggs in the incubator as we speak! I would love to help get this beautiful breed out for more people to enjoy! That was why I am trying to revive this thread. There is an Isabelle Leghorn FB page, but most of the participants are from Europe and Australia.
Thanks!

Did some research on the pattern.....and found some interesting information -- it is also called "lavender brown"

http://leghorn.nl/artikelen/Isabel patrijs-UK.pdf?phpMyAdmin=92cf0928fc32fa6ade98585639c49441

It looks like the lavender gene added to brown leghorn gives the color..and lavender is recessive so the chicken needs two copies and lav changes the black to a self-blue and the reds to a straw color..so a nice strong diluter.

You are right about the need for more interest in this pattern. ;O) Do your chickens have the typical leghorn disposition and the very 'flighty' personality? How is their egg production? How big (in pounds) do they get?

Thanks!

Did some research on the pattern.....and found some interesting information -- it is also called "lavender brown"

http://leghorn.nl/artikelen/Isabel patrijs-UK.pdf?phpMyAdmin=92cf0928fc32fa6ade98585639c49441

It looks like the lavender gene added to brown leghorn gives the color..and lavender is recessive so the chicken needs two copies and lav changes the black to a self-blue and the reds to a straw color..so a nice strong diluter.

You are right about the need for more interest in this pattern. ;O) Do your chickens have the typical leghorn disposition and the very 'flighty' personality? How is their egg production? How big (in pounds) do they get?
They have a typical Leghorn disposition and size. They aren't as flighty as my browns, but more flighty than my other breeds. They are not aggressive and love to get out and forage. My isabelles lay 5-6 large, white eggs weekly.

Back
Top Bottom