ISABELLE LEGHORNS IN USA!

Pics
I've got split x split pullet eggs available for the next three weeks.  These will produce 25% isabels.  In about a week, after I confirm fertility, I'll include pullet eggs from the Isabel x split pen  I'm confirming fertility now.  $30 a dozen shipped. PM me if interested.

ETA:  Around mid November all pens will be combined for easier winter care.

I definitely want some eggs, it would most likely be this week end before I could do anything (gotta talk to hubby but I'm positive he'll be on board.) Do you accept paypal?

I definitely want some eggs, it would most likely be this week end before I could do anything (gotta talk to hubby but I'm positive he'll be on board.) Do you accept paypal?

PayPal is preferred.
big_smile.png
PM me when hubby agrees.

They are gorgeous! Love the 2 tone colors! What are the odds of the eggs hatching like that?

Let me know when you start shipping eggs.

Awesome! I'd very much like to get some eggs when you have them available. Also, I noticed when looking into the Isabelle that there was a breeder in Ooltewah, but I've not been able to find any further info on them. Are you in TN as well? If I can avoid shipping I would prefer it, if at all possible. I live in lower middle TN, "Bonnaroo town" myself. I currently have 4, 5 week old Dutch Browns that I'm growing out now, I'm positive 3 are pullets, and one in question that I'm planning on breeding this spring. I know Leghorns aren't everyones "cup of tea" but out of all the breeds I've had, they were my first and are still my favorite. I would absolutely love to have the opportunity work with the Isabelles, they are about the most beautiful chicken I've seen to date. If you wouldn't mind shooting me a message when you have some, I'd be forever grateful.

@GardenWren

I am in Tennessee and work with the breeder you found in Ooltewah (Buddy Henry). He has taken down his web and face book page and is referring to me at this time. I am 1 hour from Manchester. Right now we are working on splits and another project using the Isabel's. We should have some eggs and chicks by the time spring comes. I will PM you my information.

I've got split x split pullet eggs available for the next three weeks.  These will produce 25% isabels.  In about a week, after I confirm fertility, I'll include pullet eggs from the Isabel x split pen  I'm confirming fertility now.  $30 a dozen shipped. PM me if interested.

ETA:  Around mid November all pens will be combined for easier winter care.

I'm a new to this coloring. What does split x split mean?

I'm a new to this coloring. What does split x split mean?
split means they are brown in coloration but carry one copy of the lavender gene. When you breed a splitxsplit you get 25% isabels, 50% splits, 25% browns

Edited(had my percentages backwards)

Last edited:
"split" refers to a bird that carries a recessive gene. For Isabel Leghorns (or any lavender colored bird), split means the bird carries the gene for that color but does not display it.

Isabel Leghorns are sometimes also called Lavender-Brown Leghorns. They are the brown Leghorn color variety that carries the lavender gene. Lavender needs two copies inherited in the same bird in order to express the color physically.

A brown leghorn that has one copy of the lavender gene is called a split will look like any other brown leghorn. You only know the bird carries that gene if you kept records of it's breeding or you test breed it to a lavender bird and it produces some lavender chicks.

A brown leghorn that has two copies of the lavender gene is called Isabel. The lavender genes dilute otherwise black feathers to lavender, and otherwise red feathers to cream. The final color depends on what the underlying feather color would have been had the lavender genes been absent.

Split x split means the pen has a rooster that visually is brown but is known to carry one copy of the lavender gene and is therefor called a split. The hens also in appearance look like any other brown leghorn but are all known to carry one copy of the lavender gene.

I didn't know Leghorns had an Isabel variety! These are so stunning, does anyone know if they are recognized by the APA yet as a official variety? I'd love to get my hands on some chicks come spring-time.

Back
Top Bottom